NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

First time with a grey

hello everyone i am new to having a grey, we had a quaker but she flew away a little over a year ago. i decided to buy my wife a new bird and went out and found Cloud, a CAG. if i had gound a quaker and not Cloud i would have just bought it and took home with me, but i kinda got hooked on Cloud so i went home and did as much research as i could and then took my wife to meet cloud the next day. She fell in love.

While i was at work the next day she researched to see if we could have a grey with the dogs and our 18 month old daughter. she found we could but found somewhere that greys needed to either be around atleast one other bird as much as possible to help keep them entertained. so when we went to the petstore we were getting the cage and food etc etc and found Clouds playmate Luna. Luna is a grey, but not a congo can't remember what the name is. But the wife got playing with Cloud and Luna and finally conned me into buying both of them. so now i have:

2 Greys (Cloud and Luna)

2 Dogs (Teebo a Chow, and Sky a Lab)

and a 18 month old Daughter named Natalie.

got everyone home last night and set up and we found out Natalie loves to look at the birds, Teebo is scared to death of them, and Cloud tryed to step off my hand onto skys nose and she didn't like that much but all and all everything turned out good.

i will get some pictures of the new additions to the family soon and get them up.

Welcome Cloud and Luna and Owner!!!

It sounds like you picked up a CAG (Congo African grey) and a TAG (Timneh African grey).

It sounds like the transport and arrival to their new home went well. :-)

How old are they and have they been DNA sexed?

Looking forward to seeing those photos and hearing more!!

Welcome ClouandLuna,

I too have my first grey named Tang. Tango has been home for about 50 days now, and I tell you he is such a joy.

I am sure that you will many fun times with them. Read all you can on here. The information is very informative, and the people who have owned greys for a long time have a lot of good insight, and are also very willing to share what they know.

If you haven't bought the book titled "For the Love of Greys" by Bobbi Brinker then please do so. I have found it to be a great resource in knowing how to care for Tango.

Congratulations on your birds, and good luck with them. You will be stunned at their grace and beauty.

Hi CloudandLuna. Welcome. I guess you could say that we are a part of the same membership class, as I only joined a couple of days ago myself!

If you look around you'll see that this forum is a great resource, and very friendly.

We are waiting for the DNA test on our new grey as well; so I am holding off on a name till then. Best of luck, your house sounds busy like mine!

Congradulations on the new family members. Great names, too. Looking forward to hearing more about them and please feel free to ask any questions you may have. There is always someone here ready and willing to help with any questions you may have. I know I had a ton when I first got my grey and everyone was so so helpful. :)

Glad you've joined us, you have a beautiful family! Be sure to give your new greys lots of individual attention, they may tend to develop a deeper bond with each other and decide that humans aren't as exciting to them. It's great that everyone is getting along so well.

Hello there and thanks for sharing your experiences so far. I am hoping to bring a baby grey home soon. I wanted to see if you have had any problems with your dogs interacting with your new additions. Also, are your Greys doing ok with your daughter and vice versa?

Thanks so much!

the dogs do okay with them, but we never leave them alone together...either we are holding the birds or they are inside there cage. but dogs leave them alone most of the time. and my daughter likes to look at them and she has ventured to touch Cloud twice, once she just kinda tapped his wing which he is use to and i think is starting to like, but the other time she tryed to grab him like she does our dogs and she pecked at her...neither bird nor baby where hurt but she learned to be gentle hopefully..and they are out most of the time when she is running aroudn the house, and as long as she doesn't run up behind one and scare them they are okay but sometimes they will try and fly away from her. hope this helps