NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rubbing Beak

slmclean

All parrots rub their beaks, it's a normal way of keeping the beak in shape. When greys preen, their tail-gland produces the white substance which they put on their feathers to keep them dry when it rains. Because of that stuff their beak is a little grey. When they rub their beak it becomes shining black.

I observed that many parrots also rub their beak like some territorial action. My TAG does it when an amazon comes too close, my lovebirds do it when other parrots come too close. One of my amazons always cleans her beak thoroughly after she has eaten something.

This is not to frighten you but the coloration of the upper mandible that's in the photo is not the same type of shading that occurs as the bird is getting older. When that happens, the beak loses it's vibrant smooth black color and the eventual result is a very dull dark gray color with loads of scratch marks. The black beak never returns.

The beak in the photo isn't the same. That's a beak discoloration. It's very possible that there is a partial absence of color that's developed over a period of time--compare it to a person who loses some skin pigment in certain areas. You'll need to take your bird to your vet in order to get his opinion because the beak discoloration could possibly mean other things that have to do with health. If it is, it's treatable.

The first thing you should do is call him, explain what you see, how long you've seen it, the specific area that the discoloration appears. He might be able to give an explanation over the phone.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/11 04:15