NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

question about play room/acceptable toys

Gryphon

Hi all,

I'm wondering about bird room arrangements for a Timneh. I was planning on hanging a "get a grip" climbing net from horizontally from the ceiling so that it hangs about 6-7 feet high. Then the swings and atom and boings.

I've read that greys fall easily (is that true?) and this can cause serious emotional problems (not to mention the physical). What I am wondering is if this kind of play set-up is too far off the ground and if anyone has good tips for a bird room that allows lots of climbing and swinging.

Thanks!

Stephanie

http://world-bird-sanctuary.blogspot.com/

Hi Stephanie,

I don't have an open play room for Darcy (4 months old), but his cage is a double macaw cage and is approximately 73" high. During the first few weeks, I had to put blankets down to soften the falls. Darcy is much better now, but I have lots and lots of perches for him to choose from. Now he practices turning in circles from the top of the cage upside down, but fell yesterday. Depending on how old your Timneh is, you may want to experiment a bit first to see how well your baby does on climbing. Darcy loves his ladder and boing. Can you place something on the floor underneath him so if he falls, he won't get hurt? Maybe an old mattress and cover it with an old towel or sheet? I'm a newbie just like you, so I would listen closely to others comments!:P