NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

well I guess i can join the bite me club

Tycos_mom

Tyco got me really good tonight. I don't even know why she bit me. It was bed time and she went into her cage no problem. I noticed that her pellets where getting low in her dish so I told her I would be back with some more in a minutes I filled up the scoop and reached into her cage to put them in her dish and she grabbed my arm at the bend and bit right on the big vein on the inside of my elbow. I didn't react and thank goodness it didn't start bleeding . I shut her door and threw the cover over her and at the same time said your a bad bird no bite mom in a stern voice. and I walked away she didn't quite bite through it but there is a huge blood blister on the inside of my arm. This bite oh it hurts she really got me good she couldn't have picked a better spot if she aimed right on the vein

Tyco dishes can be fil from the outside also but she has never bit me before so I didn't ecpect it It was just easier to reach in an put a few more pelet in her dish. It was bedtime usually at bed time she is quite affectionate and wants scritches I certinly didn't expect her to bite me or I wouldn't have done that. She has never bit me before.

oh man...that HAD to hurt! That is a wierd bite...if I hadn't known the history of Tyco I would have thought he was a cage bound aggressive grey but he is normally so sweet with you. That bite reminds me of Oscar the Buffons macaw at my work. I think he has a book of human anatomy hidden in his cage somewhere because when he bites you in the arm he always hits a nerve and makes your hand/arm go numb for a good 30 minutes. Maybe Tyco and Oscar have talked?:laugh:

No I don't know what got into her. Mabie she's a little upset because I took her cage outside and scrubed it down really good. mabie it was her way of telling me that I've done enough to her cage and to leave her stuff alone. I never thought about it much until now. I know when I brought her cage back in the house she inspected every inch of it. I was still drying it off with a towel and I put the towel down for a minute to go get somethin and when I came back she had the towel in her beak and was wipeing her cage.LOL I asked her if I missed a spot it was so cute. But mabie she wasn't happy about it at all.

Difficult situation, but so recognizeable!

In my house the parrots live freely in climbing trees in the living room. In the evening I bring them to bed: they have their own bedroom, with separate cages for each of them. In the cages is only a perch. No food, no water. The bedroom has a darkening screen instead of only curtains. So it's dark as long as they are in that room. In the morning I take them all out to the bathroom for their shower. There they drink a little until they are in the living room again. I'll explain this to you:

Wild parrots sleep in roost-trees. They don't bathe there, they don't forage there. In the tropical areas where they live, evening falls suddenly, as suddenly as day breaks. In the morning, they get wet from the dew on the trees. They preen themselves, and gather to go foraging. They forage on fruit trees, they drink from ponds and they eat clay from the river banks or similar places. The flocks are gathering and breaking up in smaller family groups, depending on the species. At the hottest period of the day they withdraw between the trees and shrubs, for a nap and a little preening. In the evening they forage again, and drink a little before they go asleep in their roost-tree.

Only couples stay together, and during the breeding season they search for a nest-tree. The couple defends the nest. When there are eggs, the breeding parrot stays at the nest, while the other feeds him/her. All are chased away, except the partner.

A tame parrot that sleeps and eats in the same cage, feels like he/she is occupying a nest tree. If the owner has a partner-relationship with the parrot, he won't be bitten. But... even when they are bonded, a parrot can react by biting if there's something different. A parrot has a vision of 360 degrees, and can see more details and colors than we do. Often a parrot warns, and an other parrot notices. We often don't, unless we have developed special skills...

Hopefully this does help a little in understanding your parrot...

Never mind Pat. we have all been there. Could have been for any number of reasons as I am sure you know. Charlie can sometimes bite for no obvious reason to me, thankfully its very rare and has not become an issue. I am sure Tyco will get back to normal soon. Sheila