NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

i've got a question.

Brittany

hopefully i dont sound stupid..or ask an over asked question!

okay, i havent brought my first african grey home yet as he is a baby still (just incase you dont know. 2 months old) so in the mean time i'm trying to learn as much as i can.

Pepper(our baby) is a congo african grey, and i've heard from many people / read that congos can especially become attached to one person. I've heard that it doesnt matter whether its a timneh or congo they both have a tendency to do so.

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to try to get around that happening?

Some advice would be helpful, thank you!

l_e8fff154a74549838f859ea16501adf3.jpg

OMG!!! That is such a cute little baby!!!

Yes it's true they can get more attached to one person more than another, especially if one person does the feeding, playing, talking, cage cleaning etc, but if they are socialized right and there is more than one person giving it regular attention it should take to more than one person. My grey does like me best because I am the main one who plays with him, feeds him, talks to him but my husband gets along with him too. Although last weekend he did bite him:( It is very possible that a grey can get along well with several family members. It is all in the socializing and other people willing to be involved in it's life on a regular basis. Hope that helps. But it's true lots of people have 1 person birds because they are the main care giver;)<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/10/09 03:53

Like Judy and Erika have said, yes, they can be "one person" birds. If you have other people handle Pepper regularly and take him on outings to get used to strangers they will not be as bad about being as attached to one person. My CAG Elmo will step up for just about everyone and does enjoy the company of others...but she loves me most.

thanks so much for the advice, everyone.

we pretty much plan on trying to socialize it as much as we can. hopefully everything works out!!

yea i really cant wait to bring him home!! haha im constantly talking about him to others. im sure they get sick of hearin git.

haha!! even though i JUST met him last fri and just bought him fri..... well put money down on him haha ive just fallen in love!

they definitely do get sick of it (: thats why its nice to come here and hopefully you all dont get sick of it:laugh:

Thank you for sharing the picture of your baby CAG with us. Pepper is a great name. My TAG is the same age and I have not seen it yet. So I appreciate your picture, it gives me some idea what my baby might look like though smaller. I talk to my breeder once a week (don't want to drive her crazy):cheer: and she is so generous about telling me what she has been doing with her babies. Anyway, thanks again. J :kiss:

luvparrots wrote:

Thank you for sharing the picture of your baby CAG with us. Pepper is a great name. My TAG is the same age and I have not seen it yet. So I appreciate your picture, it gives me some idea what my baby might look like though smaller. I talk to my breeder once a week (don't want to drive her crazy):cheer: and she is so generous about telling me what she has been doing with her babies. Anyway, thanks again. J :kiss:

no problem!

can you post videos on here? i was gonna post a video of him lol

aweeee i would go crazy wanting to talk to the breeder about the baby haha! my bf picked out the name pepper

What a cutie! You are going to have so much fun once s/he comes home finally!

Yes they can have one person that they love best and want to be with most. Alex is totally my baby. However he will go to all of the family without a problem. I don't take him out as much as I would like but he is usally pretty good. :)

congrats on your upcoming new baby, this is a perfect place to "talk"...really brag about your parrots..haha.

and no questions are stupid, ive learned tons since joining and everyday is an adventure with your bird you'll find that out soon. In the meantime learn all you can and yes socialize is key right from the start i had troubles at first with my TAG with anyone else but its slowly coming.