NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New mom to an African Gray

railchik

Isabelle hatched in the beginning of January and I got her in July. She was obviously very well taken care of since she is very affectionate! She only bites when she is scared, likes to cuddle in my neck, and whistles a lot. She started trying to talk a couple months ago, but I think she gave up. She will get on my shoulder, but does not like to stand on my fingers or for me to walk anywhere with her (I have to sit with her on my chest).

How do I get her to talk? She whistles what I say (she will literally whistle her name when I call her). I spend time with her throughout the day, speaking to her, singing to her. I leave CNN on when I leave so she hears talking. What am I doing wrong? I swear she understands most of what I say!

How do I get her to keep her balance on my finger so she doesn't get scared?

Are there any recommended training video's?

I did not know much about birds when I got her and I have been searching everything online since I got her to know how to make her a happy bird!

Hi Railchik,

Welcome to the grey forums. African Greys vary in when they speak, if they speak at all. It is not guaranteed that all greys are talkers. And those that do, can talk anywere from 6 months to 2 or even 3 years. The average age seems to be around their first birthday, based on some surveys done here. You are doing the right things to encourage her to talk. Just keep talking to her;)

My greys prefer to perch on my hand than my finger. I think its because my finger is too narrow a perch. When I offer only my finger they tend to dig in with their talons and it hurts :( So try offering the back of your hand instead.

Siobha9, thanks for replying!

I was concerned that maybe I was doing something wrong since she stopped trying to talk. She wasn't very clear yet, but she has said "whatcha doin", "hey", and "yeah" before. Do you know if that is normal, or did I do something wrong?

No you didnt do anything wrong. They do tend to practise lots of different sounds and they will mutter and mumble until they are sure they have it right! if she has said anything at all, there is a fair chance she will talk eventually, but she may not talk in front of you. Some greys dont like an audience. We call them closet talkers;) Next time she starts making sounds, go out side the room and listen. You might be pleasantly surprised. 10 months is still quite young though, so I wouldnt be worrying if I were you!

Hi railchik, glad you could join us. I don't get my TAG until mid-November but I do alot of reading so here goes. Greys need to feel secure; a wobbly parrot is an insecure one. Greys need to grip to feel stable. Tuck you thumb into the palm of your hand. Hold your 4 fingers together, like the 4 sign. Hold your hand horizontal so that your pointer finger is the top finger and your palm faces toward you. Fold the 2 bottom fingers in and slightly bend the 2 top fingers. Your bird should then have a secure perch. If your bird seems wobbly pull you arm close to you so that it has the security of leaning against you while learning to sit on your fingers. Got this from my Barrons African Grey Parrots book. Hope it helps. We look forward to seeing pictures of you and Isabelle.:cheer:

Hi, do not give up as some birds take longer than others to talk, my charlie is now 10 months and he is starting to talk now (i am canning myself when he speaks cause it sounds to nice, i want to eat him up):)

In my experience, I've found that they can go through phases where they talk and then others where they just whistle or make odd noises. It's all part of their learning process and individual personalities. If she's tried to talk once, it's likely that she'll do it again. Just give her time. You aren't doing anything wrong.

Hi your grey is still young, most greys are around 12 months old when they start talking.Some dont talk at all,prefering to whistle. Some talk when on their own,if you are in another room.As for the perching, Charlie preferes to sit on my wrist or arm rather than my hand.Just keep doing what you are already doing.

I have to say, I am quite pleasantly surprised at how many people have responded to my little dilemma! It's really nice and like a family here. :)

I tried the hand thing yesterday and she was actually putting one foot on my hand (and then quickly taking it off..lol). I'll just keeping working with her; she's worth it. :)

Welcome Railchik! And yes, we are all like a big family, it's wonderful, glad to have you as a 'sis'! When I let Woody, my CAG, perch on my hand he steps up onto two fingers that I have held out to him, my pointer and then my middle finger, one next to another. Woody seems secure when he stands like that - he can wrap his talons around my fingers but yet it's not too small. ;)

I've read and heard (like the others here have said) that twelve months is the 'key' month for talking. Just keep chatting away and I'm sure your baby will be an excellent chatter box! :laugh:

Welcome Railchick!!

As others have indicated, they usually don't really start talking to an audience and loudly until a year or more old. They do mumble to themselves to calibrate their pronunciation until they have it right before they let it zing at you.

One note: They love to do this when you least expect it to watch the shock you experience and your physical reaction. :-)

You just can't help but love these smart little guys!!