NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

hello to everyone im new and need help

relshaman305

hello to everyone im new to the site and new to being a proud owner of a cag. i just wanna let everyone know i have a 6-8 week old cag. and i need help choosing a name i dont know what sex it is yet so i was thinking of a unisex name any help or suggestions appreciated thanks :D

Congratulations on your new-found parenthood! It's a real toughy isn't it - I was lucky as Casper was already named when I got him. It's such a personal choice it's really difficult, but have you tried googling 'parrot names'? There's alot of websites covering just this problem, with lots of suggestions.

If you're anything like me, your poor bird will end up with a dozen pet names anyway!

Julia

• 3 weeks later...

Naming is such a challenge. One of my three Gray's was named when I brought him home. My wife and I had the difficult task of naming the other two.

Our plan was to wait and see if something they did brought a name to mind.

With Linus he always wanted to be held and was so fussy if he was not. (Linus from the Peanut's who needed his blanket).

My old Boss actually came up with Earl's name. The day we brought him home from the breeder's. We stopped off at my work place to show him to my co-workers. Sally (my boss) asked if we had a name yet? Then Jokingly suggested Earl-Grey "You know, like the tea". We liked it!

When we went to the breeder's house, we were supposed to be picking up a female I was going to name "Sophia" or "Sophie" for short. When we saw Harrison (actually when he saw us) we knew we had to take him home. He came right to us and wouldn't leave us alone. He was 12 weeks old and was already talking. He had two sisters who were pretty quiet and not as "out-going" as he. Anyway, after much thought, we brought him home. It was a 3-4 hour drive and when we got home, I got on the computer to look up boy baby names. I couldn't decide but had a few names I liked. We took him to the vet the next day to be checked...they were telling us info about birds and stuff and then suggested we use "Harrisons" bird food. That was one of the names I liked so we decided to name him that. He never ended up liking that food, but he's stuck with that name anyway. Ha. Here's a picture of him from yesterday. :)

11har.jpg

I hope it works, I'm going to try to make it bigger.

Hi, I'm need too.. Having come from another Grey forum I have lots of experience to share. I like the overall layout of this forum very much.. Keep up the good work.. Attached is a photos of my Ceasar. He's 1 year old this month.. :P He is talking up a storm too.. He's his photo.. Can the admins tell me quickly how to embed photos in the actually message instead of leaving a link? I know, I could search and find the answer but I'm lazy.. :blush:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/venuto/D2X_0208.jpg

Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/09 16:25<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/09 16:26

HeatherStrella, he's soooooo sweet :P Just taking off, is he? Thanks for sharing his picture here. I love Harrison btw. Suggest a kinda 'macho' (for me) - like Harrison Ford :P

Ceasarsdad, welcome here (if I haven't welcomed you before and if so, OK, then a double welcome here :laugh: )

Ceasar looks really cute. Very delicate and gentle. Is that how he is?

Photos can be uploaded by the the attach img function and browse - only make sure the photo is not over 500 pixels so it gets accepted by the software :)

Hi FairY and ZoesDad.. Nice to meet you .. Believe it or not I ran into a problem at my old Grey forum when me and the admin went at it.. Know what for? For posting photos of my Grey Ceaser.. That is correct.. I couldn't believe it myself.. So, bottom line is all my friend on that doppy forum will be quitting and joining here.. I can't wait..

To answer your question.. I am a professional Photographer. Yes the photos was taken by my digital setup. Currently a Nikon D2Xs and pro Lenses.. I am glad you like the shot.. I have others I will be posting for all to enjoy... Attached to this one is a unique one I shot recently.. I CAUGHT Ceasar Shaking his head.. The photo looks real weird but it is a rare catch just the same...

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/venuto/D2X_0191.jpg

And here is a more normal looking shot..

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/venuto/d2x_0124.jpg

Enjoy them.. I post them for you guys..

Nice meeting you FairY.. Thank you for the welcome.. I appreciate it.<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/05/09 23:26

FairY.. So sorry I didn't answer your question in my last post.. You have SOME EYE for Greys I can tell you that. :P Ceaser is the most gentlest parrot I have even handled. To this day, about 7 months, he has NEVER biten me or anyone else in the family.. Truely a Gem of a bird.. I LOVE him so much I think you understand.. B)

Caesarsdad, what do you use for a background? I have a KM Maxxum 7D that I just got back from "the shop" due to a back focus problem...I'm not sure if the problem is fixed or not...your pictures are great!! I also use the Panasonic FZ50 and FZ20...love em both...sometimes I like them better than the slr. Do you use any other cameras??

Heather

HeatherStrella wrote:

Caesarsdad, what do you use for a background? I have a KM Maxxum 7D that I just got back from "the shop" due to a back focus problem...I'm not sure if the problem is fixed or not...your pictures are great!! I also use the Panasonic FZ50 and FZ20...love em both...sometimes I like them better than the slr. Do you use any other cameras??

Heather

So good to meet you Heather. Thank you for writing. I am a Nikon guy. My working rig is the Nikon D2Xs with 2.8 pro glass. I know you know what that means as I can tell from your post you understand photography. Anyway, I also have a Nikon D50 and a smaller D40.

Backfocus problems are so common these days. Believe it or not I just got my D2Xs back for the same time.. Only the problem was the lense and not the body. Nikon fixed it under warrantee. I know how angry you can get when you take a bunch of photos only to have many with soft focus.. Yuck..

Regarding backdrops.. When I am in the studio I shoot against a couple of different colored backdrops. The photos you see of Ceasar were shot outside with a 200mm lense about 6 feet away from him. The light meter saw ceasar who was so bright compared to the darker grass background that it rendered the background black.. It was a nice technique... It saved me from dragging out my backdrops and stands, know what I mean?

Regarding the cameras you use.. You know that it's not the camera its the photographer.. I was at a Bon Jovi concert in the front row. I was only allowed to bring in a point and shoot.. I have photos that could be posters in a music store.. If you want to see them just let me know.

I leave you with another shot of Ceaser.. Again, same technique regarding the background.. You can see the grass peeking through at the bottom.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u97/venuto/D2X_0244.jpg

Oh you are too kind marir. Thank you so much.. I have LOTS of photos to share with you guys. I also have a friend that just joined. Her name is Talon.. You will see some nice photography from her too. Remember, it anyone has any questions about photography please don't hesitate.. in fact I would ask FairY if it would be OK to start a members photography thread to help our members out on how the best photograph their greys.. FairY, If you see this can you let me know? Thanks sweetie.