NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to make an oatmeal 'dish' for my TAG?

LisainSA

Hi everybody,

I can sit here for hours and have many times. One question to avoid that today if you don't mind...! I have seen posts/replies about oatmeal and mixing it with various things (I remember baby food). But what I don't remember is do you cook the oatmeal or leave it raw when mixing it in? Can someone give me a quick recipe (with instructions!) so that Jojo can have more variety? He is already weening himself off his 'formula' and eating sunflower seeds (sparingly). I give him a mix of pellets and frozen but then steamed veggies...but I want to give him other stuff too... please help! Thanks so much everybody! Lisa

Thank you! You are always so helpful! I just have seen raw oatmeal in some mixes so wasn't sure the way to go. Does that mean it's better to use the instant (Quick) oats versus the old-fashioned? I suppose it's the quick if you mentioned microwavable.

I have been able to get Jojo to relax on his back without his needing to hold onto to me with his feet - and I am hoping that shows a lot of trust in me. I really need to find out what else I should be teaching/training him at this age. I am afraid of being 6 months down the road and say - 'argh I should have done this!'. Thanks so much again!

Yes to be honest i think most of our members use the instant microwavable packets ;) Be sure the oats have cooled down sufficiently as microwaving food tends to give you hot spots in the bowl .

Lisa Jojo shows a huge amount of trust in you to relax on his back,that's a great achievement :) I think your probably covering everything lisa,perhaps a flick through the Nursery & Training room & see if any of the threads can offer any additional tips ;)

Again, Thanks! I have given the oatmeal and Jojo is interested, perhaps not too keen - but maybe with a different babyfood flavor/veggie he will gobble it up! Thanks for the insight about the training and nursery rooms...I would love to encourage his trust in me and see where it goes! Someone did say to me yesterday that since Jojo likes to kick/scratch at the floor - that 'he' may be a 'she'. I am actually really hesitant to find out because I don't want how I treat Jojo to change. :( Any thoughts on that too? Take care! Off to clean the cage! Lisa

Lisa if Jojo isnt to interested with the oatmeal you can always just feed the babyfood ;)

Is Jojo kicking/scratching when on the floor of the cage ? This is very normal behaviour for yound baby greys,they do go through a phase of this,nothing to be overly worried about & both sexes do it ;)