NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Does grey s prefer women??

liefie1

Anyone who gets a baby bird should never allow that behavior to develop and it can be curbed. It should be high on the list of things to do. It's called socializing the bird into the whole family lifestyle. All the family should be involved on a constant basis in all phases of bird care and communication. If that bad behavior is nipped in the bud, the bird and the family will all benefit. The bird will probably choose a certain person/persons for certain things and other people for other things. A person who doesn't try to stop that is only asking for trouble. The only exception is a person who lives by themselves.

Here is a link on socializing your baby...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-nursery/73094-socializing-your-baby-grey.html

sometimes even after all our efforts in socializing our birds they can often pick one particular family member to bond with.It's a myth that a male grey will only like women & vice versa.My greys have no trouble in accepting my family members of both sexes ;)

I believe birds are probably like most animals, including humans, it all depends on how they are treated. The "vibe" they get from a person. Their experiences with a male/female perhaps. How they are socialized. i.e., Alot of people around or if they are cared for by just one person.:cheer:<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/10/06 01:12

I have gotten 2 adults birds. Baxter the grey is 12 who had a man as previous owner and Tigger is an eclectus who I was told was more of a mans bird. I am happy to say they both love me:side:

I also have heard a lot that they are one person birds and will bond mostly to one person but then I read online that that is a myth. It all depends on how you socialize them. My grey likes both me and my husband and so does my eclectus. :woohoo: :side: :silly: :lol:

I was told when I got Tyco theat she was strickly a mans bird and did not like women well as soon as she saw me it was quite evident that she wanted to be with me. and I have mostley woman in my house because I have 4 daughters and one son and my daughters live close my son doesn't. My husband and I are separated so there are seldom any men here and my Grey loves to play and learn new things from all of us woman. She is definatly not a mans bird anymore. My Amazon on the other hand does Hate all men and will bite them she was badley abused by a man so its not her fault as far as woman she will let any girl or woman give her scritches and pets. all my other birds are very social with everyone its just the way they were raised.<br><br>Post edited by: Tycos_mom, at: 2008/10/06 01:52

As with Baxter I got my birds as older birds..I was told when buying both birds that neither liked men. I was even showed how the bird disliked men when husband and sons were introduced. However when these birds were introduced to my home within a week both were excepting my husband. He isent their number 1 person(they leave that love for me :kiss:) but they do step up for him, and they allow him to offer them food & toys. He's the toy maker around here..they have a general respect for him, as he with them..I agree that the birds really need to have some socialization with all family members since all members are a part of the flock.

My Josey is bonded with me but she is gradually developing a friendship with my husband, she will allow him to give her treats and will step up for him if he has to get her off the floor.

I don't think it is because she hates men, he does not have much to do with her so she regards him with some reluctance but she has become more tolerant as time goes by.