NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Step-up failure

darth_mint

Well it's been two months and I am a total failure at training Nicky to step up :(

He is fantastically obstinate about it. This morning alone I picked up six bites on my hand and forearm, all of which happened while I was trying to coax him with a sunflower seed - and one when I tried to move my hand up. Didn't break the skin, but tomorrow my left arm is going to be black and blue.

Now I've ended up resorting to frequent time outs. At the start, I tried to use time out as little as possible because I couldn't bear to leave him there moaning and calling. But this morning's session was a whole series of 5 minutes interaction, step-up attempt, bite, 10 minutes time out, come back, repeat. The time out is definitely having an effect on him, he keeps grumbling and yelling. I even told the rest of the family to ignore him completely. But is it all right to use time out so often? Should I be doing more or less of step-up attempts?

Sounds as though you are trying to train him at times when he doesn't want to. You have to find the times that he is receptive, like when he is a bit hungry and will do something for a treat. If he starts to bite then it is definitely not the right time for him.

You could also try another treat that he really wants, it could even be a toy that he goes mad over and use that as the treat.

I know with our 2 they are not always in the mood to be trained and I wait until they are showing signs (this even includes when I am playing with them and suddenly they really want a toy from me and then I turn it into a training session).

Bless your soul for trying so hard with this guy on stepping up and your determination to be successful.!!

With him being possibly 20 years old and from your comments on the background you have on him. He may have never really learned or accepted the step up command or built a strong and loving relationship with a human at such a personal level in his whole life.

He is obviously used to humans being around, but he has learned how to keep people away and still get the treat. :-)

This could be a very long process and slight improvements gained over longer periods of time, than with a much younger Grey.

It sounds like he truly enjoys being out of his cage and with the flock at a distance. Perhaps you can capitalize on this preference of his and let him dictate how close his "Space" allows. If he finds that no one is really a threat to him when out and is allowed to start coming to you and family on his terms and time table. It may be a more effective way of gaining his trust instead of trying to demand it of him.

At 20 years old, he has a lot of baggage and god only knows the people and treatment he has received during that time. He is also set and determined in his routines and beliefs and will not change them over night.

Just let him out, show him treats from a far and make him come to you for them. In getting him to another room where you congregate, if he can, let him follow you in there. He will if he wants to socialize bad enough.

There are other members here such as TycosMom (Pat) that can relate more to you than I on taking in a Grey as old as yours and how much patience is required in getting them to start letting their guard down. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/10/05 14:51

Thanks for the advice Dan.

Honestly, the whole experience over this past month has made me doubt the necessity of making Nicky step up. Many many people have said that he should learn it as soon as possible, and they have given great advice, but it is just so traumatic for both him and me. After every session, he gets grumpy and is cross for the rest of the day, snaps at my fingers when I give him food, runs away to the opposite side of the cage when I come near him, etc.

I tried forcing him once - moving my hand up under his tail to make him step up backwards - well, he put one foot on my hand, and the minute he realized what he'd stepped on, he jumped off backwards and landed on the floor with an awful bang. :(

I guess all parrots are different and Nicky seems a lot happier without me poking and prodding at him to step up...as long as I keep the treats coming.<br><br>Post edited by: darth_mint, at: 2008/10/05 16:42

Step up will only come with full trust in you. No one can force trust on a Parrot. You have tried and tried and he is not at that level yet.

Let him enjoy time out with you and family with no intrusion to his safety perimeter, which will get smaller and smaller as the trust level grows.

It has reached a point that you are apprehensive when trying to force him to and he is apprehensive another intrusion into his space is coming. That is a bad situation from the start.

Just offer treats from a far and let him come own his own basis. He will come and get the treat if he wants it bad enough. It will show him that he can come and go freely within your space with out threat of being forced to go further than he is comfortable with at that point in time.

Believe me, they desire a loving companionship as much as we humans do. The desire for that will overcome the fear at some point in time.

I have a Conure that I suspect was wild captured, I have had for over 2 years. He loves being out, getting treats from my hand and walking over close when he wishes. But, a step up or hand touching him is still out of his comfort zone. But, he makes more progress each day/ week/month/year. We love him and he loves us, but from a distance. I can not imagine the household without his antics and flying from room to room to follow his flock wherever they go. :-)

Just hang in there and enjoy the interaction you have.

If you haven't tried this before, just you and him should go into a room that has a door. Close the door, put him on the floor and proceed to try the step up training. Have a small hand perch( 6 to 8 in) with you. Make sure there's no distractions. Do this constantly until he gets used to the idea of being with you in that room. At 20 yrs of age, it'll take some time. Patience and perseverance are needed.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/10/05 18:44