NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Another newbie

tulip

I've just joined the first of the month; we'll be getting our new baby grey mid Nov. You all have great information and it's just tremendous reading about those who have gone before us. I hope to sound as "old hat" as you by this time next year.

After reading as much information about diets as I can, I still have questions about the "basic food" of a grey. I certainly want to have everything all set when he comes home. (You should see his great huge new cage!) I understand the fruits and veggies but know he needs more than that. I live in metro Atlanta, can anyone share their experiences here with feed stores, etc?

Welcome Tulip!!

I don't live in your area of the woods, but I am sure someone here does. Regarding foods, there are many high quality pellets to chose from and also seed/nut blends to offer as well.

You should check out our nutrition room when you get a chance. Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)

Hi and welcome Tulip! I'm not from your neck of the woods either, but we feed Morgan fresh fruits and veggies, organic baby food fruits, veggies, and juices, a fruity flavored pellet (AvianMaintnence Fruit Blend), a nut seed and bits that look like dog kibble mix (Sunscription Vita-plus parrot formula), pasta, mashed potatos, some multigrain breads, he likes rice crispies and cheerio's ... he eats many of the foods we eat. We get all of his food from either the local market or our garden. His pellets and seed/nut mix we get from our local pet store. In a big city like Atlanta you will have access to a huge variety of fresh organic foods for your new addition :)

Hi Tulip, I get my Tag mid-November also!!:silly: Just can't wait. I've brought all the necessities, huge cage (actually humongous) lots of toys, sleeping tent, travel carrier, etc. Am going to try Pretty Bird for Greys after I switch from what the breeder is using. There are posts about different pellets everyones' birds like. Read everything. There is a lot of valuable info here. Welcome to the forum!!!{Feel-good-00020114}

Hello Tulip and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey you are getting.

I can imagine about now that you feel as if November will never get here but it will soon enough and then you will know what we speak of, that greys are amazing creatures and only another greyt owner knows what we feel about them.

As you are already reading thru the many threads continue to do so for we have lots of useful information and be sure to go thru the bird food room for lots of ideas and suggestions of what to feed this grey.

When you get some pictures of this grey please share a few with us so we may admire your grey, we love photos here as you can plainly see.:)

Hi Tulip. I am from Liverpool uk so not at all near you but welcome to the forum.I feed Charlie my grey organic pellets as well as fruit and veg. He also gets bits of healthy food I eat, he loves fish. I try and get him exotic fruit but at the moment I am finding this is not so available.I do give him the odd nut but as a treat because of the high fat content in some such as peanuts. sheila

Hello Tulip, welcome here. I'm not in your area either but if there are not any good pet stores near to you, check out DrsFosterSmith.com They have a large selection of foods to chose from. I feed mine Exact pellets, supplemented with fruits & veggies, brown rice and beans, well-cooked scrambled eggs, just about anything healthy that you are eating. Just remember NO Avocado, No Chocolate, No alcohol, not a lot of salt or sugar. Read through the posts on here and you'll get lots of ideas.

We spoke to the breeder this past weekend; we will get our grey on Nov 14th. I am SO excited. The breeder thinks it's a "she" so we've picked an african name "Zuri" which means beautiful if indeed it's a she.

I just have to say this is a tremendous resource and great fun to read. I'm looking forward to posting pictures.

Tulip:P<br><br>Post edited by: tulip, at: 2008/10/14 03:41

:) Welcome Tulip. I am new here as well, only a week, but I have found it a lot of fun to log-on. As far as I can tell, it is a very friendly forum with lots of good info and experience; from a diverse and enthusiastic membership.

I have actually sat for a couple of hours reading past threads that go back quite a ways, and got some great tips.

It is exciting to hear a new friend is coming your way in Nov. I am wating for the DNA results for my CAG...so we can finally settle on a name!B)

I am experimenting with diet, both pellets and produce, so the only thing I can say is, for me at least, it is a slow process. A little of this, a little of that...

Posting pictures is easy, but I still haven't figured out the movies section.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

That's great news about your grey. Is it a Congo (black beak) or Timneh (bone beak). I'll be getting my Timneh, the smaller of the two greys around November 15th. I have learned alot from this knowlegeable and friendly forum family. Have fun looking around and ask any questions you have. Will be looking forward to seeing pictures of you and your grey.