NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Apple! APPLE!

darth_mint

Nicky's been saying various words for a while now, but unconnected and mostly out of context. He especially likes to mutter 'apple, apple' to himself, but never showed any sign of realizing that 'apple' meant the fruit!

So when he started mumbling 'apple, apple' today, I ignored him...until he suddenly glared at me and said very clearly, 'APPLE!' And he had this impatient, annoyed tone to his voice, as if he was thinking "how long is this silly woman going to take to get my apple?"

I jumped up and rushed to get him a nice big piece of apple. It was cold from the fridge and he wouldn't hold it, so I put it in a dish...and he ran over to the dish chanting 'Apple, apple, apple' and stuck his beak in. CUUUUUUTE!

• 3 weeks later...

Things just got better, Nicky apparently decided that 'apple' means any and all fruit he likes. I was slicing up a pear earlier, and Nicky suddenly started bouncing up and down saying 'apple, apple' very clearly. And he was staring straight at the pear! I gave him a piece and told him "Nicky, this is a PEAR," and he ate it - and five minutes later he was chanting 'apple apple apple' again and eyeing my pear. Wonder how long he will take to say 'pear'! :laugh:

• 1 year later...

OMG, that sounds so much like my daughter did when she was starting to talk (about 2). Everything liquid was "ilk" and any food from the fridge was "cheese." She would go to the fridge and say "ilk and cheese." That didn't mean she wanted milk or cheese, but that's what Nicky's doing, he's identified all fruit as "apple" and that process is wonderful. Keep up the great work and thanks for the laugh. I can see you running for that apple!