NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Backup Plans

LindaMary

I am curious to know what our members have devised as backup plans for our long-lived feathered dependents, in the event we should get to the rainbow bridge before they do.

I am almost 54 and healthy, but would not have felt I could adopt a young grey unless my (now 13-year-old) daughter had expressed an interest in sharing the responsibility with me, and assuming it once I am gone. Realistically, though, I know that if I should get hit by a truck tomorrow, there really need to be several levels of backup plans in place. I have discussed it with my brother, who is my daughter's guardian should the worst happen, and he is willing to take Max on, but his resources there (especially time) are more limited, too. I am also aware that as my daughter continues to mature and pursue her own interests, her 12-year-old promise may not be totally secure.:whistle:

I am thinking of exploring a few other options I have (curious friends who are known to be good with animals but have never had a parrot, for example...) - and trying to start to expand my parronting "village", so to speak - similar to teh way I realized I had to establish a "village" when I was facing the prospect of single parenthood.

What have the rest of you planned? I really don't mean to be dismal in this topic, just looking for pragmatic, creative ideas!

All input welcome!

Very good question. One I too have thought about. Before I made a commitment to purchase my baby Tag, I told my grown children (all over 40) I was going to get my long-desired parrot. My son (a cat person) said he would not be interested in caring for a bird if it outlived me. My oldest daughter said, "Mom are you crazy I don't want to take care of a big bird. Get a parakeet." My youngest child said, "It's your money, do what you want as long as you enjoy it and want to take care of it." However, my oldest grandson, (19) stepped up to the plate with a heartfelt promise to care for my new feathered friend when and if need be.

And he is the right person, he loves animals, has a good heart, and frankly will still be young enough to enjoy the companionship of a 20+ year-old bird---because I don't intend to go anywhere except on a trip to Greece/Egypt for at least 20 more years!!!

{Feel-good-0002006B}<br><br>Post edited by: luvparrots, at: 2008/10/04 09:01

This is a very good topic and one that needs very careful thought. My grey is only about 5-6 years old and could outlive me. It is a question I have pondered but as yet not found the answer. Family members are just not able or interested enough to take on such a task. I think it would be a good idea to leave some sort of provision in a will so you are sure of the plan.

We have spoken with both our Son's regarding this. They both interact with our Parrots and over the last couple of years, have been inquisitive and educated on how to properly care for them.

Our Grand children also are enthralled with them, but only one would be trusted to care for them.

Regardless of the age of the Parrot owner, sometimes life can throw a tragic curve you never know is coming, today or 30 years from now. Example - My wife had a good friend 26 years old, was diagnosed with a huge tumor and was gone in 90 days. You just never know when or where the end may come.

Considering how your pets would be taken care of, incase anything ever happened is always a good thing to have lined up, so they don't end up in an animal control department or rescue.

This is a great topic, thanks for starting it!! :-)