NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Chewing toys

BlueCounty

Hello everyone,

Just wondering if there are any safe chewing toys for Grey Parrots?

I've got a Pets at home near my house but there bird accessories are limited to say the least!

Would I be able to get chewing toys for dogs and give it to Gizmo?

He's trying his best to chew his cage at the moment the silly bird haha

Guest Skuffy

go to B&Q buy some 3 by 2 pine and cut it into blocks..colour with food dye if u like..drill hole drop on a chain..and toys a baby will play with ie rattles building block,,pegs,ropes,,chains i use are dog leads..You will find Parrot toys expensive were dog/cat toys are 100%cheaper..I think my birds have to many toys..

Morgan loves to chew rawhide "dog" treats. We got him this "skewer" that hangs from the top of his cage, it's meant to put wooden blocks and such on it, we drill a small hole in different sizes and shapes of rawhide and stick them on the skewer. He goes crazy over them. (the skewer is also great for holding corn on the cob and other yummy, stiff treats). He also likes to hold them and mouth them, but he can't really go at them like he can if something else is holding it for him.

We also get many of his toys from other sections of the stores. He has some baby toys, some cat toys, his favorite foot toy was advertised as for rabbits. I've found that many things marketed toward other animals can be great, safe fun for birds.

I hadn't thought of trying a rattle with Morgan, good suggestion :)

• 6 months later...

Great idea on the rawhide! I have tried baby toys (yes, they are a bit more expensive) and LOVE them since they are safe! and Belle has a hard time destroying them! To the dog section we go!!

I know he's not popular on this site, but for $50 a month, I've subscribed to Chet's toy club - so far, the toys are a HIT! They are natural, safe, and completely destructible :) Even at that price, I'm still saving money - instead of going to a pet store where I was spending about $100/month, and still had to bring the toys home to "bird-proof" them.