NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello From Ireland ...

Jason

Hi all,

Just found this forum a few days ago and its great. Lots of useful information.

Two weeks ago I bought a baby African Grey and named him Ernie. He was about 13 weeks old then.

When I brought him home, he was a bit unstable when navigating his cage and cried during the night. Now two weeks on and he is moving around his cage and the living room like he knows everything :)

I cant believe how intelligent he is. When I come home from work around 5, I take him out of the cage and he stays out, playing with me and his toys until about 11 or 12. Recently he has started babbling to himself, trying to imitate sounds. He has picked up a weird UFO type sound , which I think came from a cartoon on the television and it sound so cool.

Anyway just wanted to intoduce myself and say hi.

Best Wishes

Jason

Hello Jason and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Ernie.

It usually doesn't take long for the young ones to learn the ins and outs of their cage and he will be more proficient as time goes on.

Yes they are very smart, amazing creatures they are and want nothing better than to share their time with you, so sounds like he is bonding with you already.

He will probably go thru a period of gibberish, thats what I call it, there will be no discernable words but just all kinds of sounds that eventually will turn into words and phrases. Give him lots of time to start talking, mine didn't start saying words until she was 1 year old.

Continue to read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of Ernie you would like to share with us we would love to see him.

Hi Jason,

Isn't this forum wonderful!?! What a great way to meet interesting people whom share our love of Greys and all things feathered!! Ernie sounds adorable! I remember bringing my Lani home, she was a little clumsy too, she was 2 months old then and will be 15 this month! Being so smart, they do learn quickly how to navigate. Is this your first bird? Be careful of open doors, windows, cats and dogs....! Look forward to hearing more from you and Ernie! :-D

Janine (Lanibird)

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your welcomes and advice. Ernie is my first African Grey but I also have two cute lovebirds.

To answer some peoples questions, I am from Dublin.

I will take some photos of little Ernie this weekend and I will post them.

Thanks again

• 3 weeks later...