NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

i inhereted a bird with an attitude

cataclysm182

I would guesstimate that he is about 3 years old. He likes to bite and seems genuinely frightened of all human contact. This is the reason the previous owners passed him to me. I love birds, i owned an eclectus for years and we were best buddies. I'd like to get this one to warm up to me a little. Any suggestions?

A little more history---

How long have you had him?

Is he still in his previous cage?

Are you the second or third owner?

Was he constantly caged all day will minimal human contact?

Was he left alone all day at previous home?

How long did previous owner have him?

Is he high strung?

Does he pick at or pluck feathers/

Does he bite only in cage or bite in and out of cage?<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/29 19:21

Do you know any of the bird's background besides the owners passing him along because of his biting? This will help in figuring out why he is doing this. But in any case since he is not a baby anymore this will take time for him to settle in and trust you, who knows maybe he was mistreated in his previous home.

You must give him lots of time and use much patience in working with him, seems as though he was frightened of people and it will take a while, months and maybe years before he will let his guard down enough to bond with you but he has to trust you first.

We have some excellent threads that deal with this very situation and we have some members who are very knowledgeable that will chime in with their ideas and suggestions.

In the meantime why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about you and him.:)

Dave,

Thanks for your reply. The previous owners were my grandparents and they were very attentive to their birds. My grandmother treated them like babies.

I have had him 3 days.

He is not in his previous cage.

I am the second owner.

He was constantly caged, but with a good amount of human contact. the only reason he was caged was because of the biting/running away problem.

He was not left alone, my grandmother was retired and spent most of her days in the company of her birds.

The previous owners had him for approx 2 years.

Well, some of the reasons you just gave explain some of your problems and luckily, many can be solved by

1--patience

2--letting the bird settle in with you

3 days isn't long enough to make any judgments. Even if the bird knew you at your grandmother's house, he's now in a new environment, new surroundings, surrounded by new situations and everyday habits that are both visible and audible. he's also in a new cage--That's part of the whole picture of newness. Most of these things will cause a bird to bite, definitely not to be affectionate.

Constant caging needs to be gradually lessened. Your bird should be in an enclosed area so that running away won't be an ordeal for you. Treats should be given frequently. Try to find favorite nuts. Give a variety of different foods. Add different interesting toys that he can destroy. He needs to aim that aggression to other things A playstand should be available. Don't force yourself on him. greys are curious and don't like being ignored so they eventually come around in different degrees. Constantly have one way conversations with him. Put the cage in an area where the traffic is constant. If people come over, don't let them intimidate him. When you're brave enough to try to have him step up on your hand and he shows resistance, nervousness or aggressive behavior, simply turn around and walk away. Eventually, a bird will start to trust that person who's giving fantastic things to eat. Don't make him work for his treats. he's an older bird. Accept that ot all things won't be successful because your bird has a bit of permanent history. Most importantly, resign yourself to the fact that all of this will take time and we at the board will expect you to report in and ask questions, major or minor. many people here have different methods and opinions concerning what could be possibly done.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/29 19:51

My Ziggy, 8 yrs.old from previous owners, is also VERY afraid of things; movements & big things especially. Have YOU ever owned a parrot before? If not, then a "used" Grey is a very difficult one to start with! They are VERY intelligent and yet like to be sociable, too.....sometimes difficult when they are not friendly.

Just changing your birds' cage is enough to send some into a full-blown panic. My best advice, and what's working SO FAR with Ziggy, is to spend time NEAR his cage. They get very curious, esp. if you're eating!! Also, I've experimented with various textures to see what he likes to play with (he likes making noises) and to see what he is interested in eating (everything).

Best of luck!

My Ziggy, 8 yrs.old from previous owners, is also VERY afraid of things; movements & big things especially. Have YOU ever owned a parrot before? If not, then a "used" Grey is a very difficult one to start with! They are VERY intelligent and yet like to be sociable, too.....sometimes difficult when they are not friendly.

Just changing your birds' cage is enough to send some into a full-blown panic. My best advice, and what's working SO FAR with Ziggy, is to spend time NEAR his cage. They get very curious, esp. if you're eating!! Also, I've experimented with various textures to see what he likes to play with (he likes making noises) and to see what he is interested in eating (everything).

Best of luck!

I rescued a Grey last year that was 4yrs old and I'm her 4th owner she did not trust humans at all. but I put her in a place where she could see and be with me all of the time I spoke to her I made sure she had lots of toys to play with and I gave her lots of good things to eat. It took 9 months of telling her to be brave and that i loved her before she would even let me touch her feathers and then it was a 2 second touch to the top of her head. It will be a year oct 9th that I brought her home I can now give her scritches on her neck face and head. she still trys to turn her head somtime to bite me but if she does that I stop petting and say don't bite mommy and turn my back and walk away. she hates to be ignored. she is getting better and better all the time even if she does happen to get a hold of a finger she doesn't bite hard enough to break the skin but it hurts I don't show thay to her though I just very quietly say let go and she does I say bad bird no bite and turn and walk away. Its all I know to do but it does work and I also find if I tell her to be brave that there is nothing to be afraid of she takes my word for it. she has grown into a very confident bird thats not afraid of very much. I've change her cage from the cockateil cage she had for the first four years of her life to a macaw cage. and she has learned about a thousand new words and phrases. but it has taken tons of love and patients let your bird decide when the time is right to try new thing he will let you know when he's ready Tyco did. Just be there for him and let him see you all the time open his cage in a small room and let him come out more on his own.

thanks guys for all you input. he is getting better. ive been feeding him lots of goodies and hes started eating out of my hand. last night we had a major break thru. he let me stick my hand in his cage to change his water and food without me first giving him a snack. he didnt try to bite me or run away or anything. it was encouraging.

Thats great news!

Only time and patience will work with your new grey.

The others have given you great advice. Keep us informed of the progress you have made.It sounds as though he is building uptrust with you and like Judy says there will be more breakthroughs.

Caroline