NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Harrison's fine or course???

fairymyst78

Well I have looked at all the other postings for the Harrison's pellets..but still have an unanswered question lingering in my mind.

This coming week when I go visit Chloe, I am supposed to bring the pellets I want the breeder to use to wean her to. I purchased the Harrison's course...but now am wondering should I have purchased the fine?

Who here feeds there birds Harrison's, and which size pellet do you feed to your grey?

A lot of people and vets too recommend the Harrisons pellets but I think most of them would be fine to give, just read the ingredient list and compare. Some will eat one brand and not another so whatever brand they eat will probably be sufficient for them.

I do feed Harrison's High Potency fine to Josey and she eats it readily.

It might be just my opinion but I see less waste with the fine pellets as I hardly ever see any evidence of any pellets on the cage floor and that means that more of them end up in her and not wasted and with today's prices the way they are, well I don't have to explain that to you now do I.

I have cockatiels that eat the fine pellets...I had thought about getting those for the grey in the first place, but I was worried they were too small. It helps to have these boards here to ask these sort of questions to find out first hand others experiences! I love this place!!!!!!!!

Hi I feed Charlie the coarse harrisons high potency. I give the cockatiel adult fine. Interesting that Judy feeds the fine pellets to greys,It may reduce left over crushings. They are expensive.Food for thought, parden the pun.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2008/09/28 19:58

she wrote:

Interesting that Judy feeds the fine pellets to greys,It may reduce left over crushings. They are expensive.Food for thought, parden the pun.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2008/09/28 19:58

That may be it in a nutshell Sheila but in any case she does not waste much of it so whatever works is good with me.:P

I feed mine zupreen fruity maintenence they are the only pellets my birds will eat and beleive me I've tried them all. I have at least 10 1/2 bags in my freezerLOL I feed my Conure's and Cockateil and Ringneck the cockateil size and the Grey and Amazon the medium size ones for Greys and Amazons. I've tried the small one for my big birds though it may save alittle money if I just had 1 bag to buy but they don't like the little ones.

I feed mine the Harrisons Coarse, Roudy Bush, a Seed Mix by Browns and lots of other healthy stuff.

One thing to note on the Coarse versus fine, is the ingredients are different. Harrison's recommends the Coarse for Greys do to the Ingredients.

My Grey eats a little pellets when he feels like it. It's interesting to watch them change from day to day as to what they eat the most of. Some seeds and nuts, other days veggies and pellets etc.

My Conure is the same except I purchase Harrisons fine and a different type of Roudy bush.

As Judy suggested, check the ingredients to compare the protein, vitamins and minerals contained in the different types.

I use the high potency course for my greys and the fine for my lovebirds. I also feed Zupreem in a separate bowl for variety and to reduce the frequency that I have to buy the Harrison's pellets. The two closest vets that carry them here are at least a 40 minute drive, one way. I also feed a lot of fruits and vegetables, but I typically save those for when we all sit down for dinner. I would just stock up on the Harrison's, but they don't add any preservatives, hence, they have a more limited shelf life than the rest.

I could, but the shipping is usually much more expensive than the cost of driving to the vet. If it stored well, so that I could order in bulk, that probably wouldn't be so bad. If anyone knows of a reputable distributor with reasonable shipping rates, I'm definitely interested.

Just got back from the vet this am, and Keywe has lost 12 grams...Mainly due to the harrison's fine pellets. She was a bit large from too much junk food, and now gets a bowl of harrison's fine pellets mixed with some V8 juice, and she LOVES it! She's been doing that for about 6 months, and it's made a great difference...She even looks healthier. We tried the coarse pellets, but she wasted much of it. The V8 juice mixed was the key and I wouldn't recommend anything else!

Lacey gets Harrison's high potency coarse. Her vet and the local P.E.A.C director recommended it. She is also fed a variety of fresh vegetables, fruits and a high quality seed each day. I also mix a little bit of red palm oil in with her vegetables. Oh, and she insists on orange juice every morning! She manages to distribute a large amount of her food all over the floor (not to mention walls, adjacent rooms and windows). My husband likes to point out that she must waste at least $10.00 worth a day throwing it around the room. I tell him that's why the jungle grows!

LaceyGrey wrote:

My husband likes to point out that she must waste at least $10.00 worth a day throwing it around the room. I tell him that's why the jungle grows!

Your right on the tossing and Jungle growing. :-)

Hey, maybe if we all teach our Parrots to bite and throw to the right. Then place all other cages to the right, they will each bite and toss to the right. Thus by the final cage, only the last bite sized piece would be left. :P

Thus, getting the most for our $$$. :-)

I don't know why, but thats how god programmed the Parrots. They have a multi-bite piece of food, take a bite and then sling it. Then, pick up another piece, bite and sling. It had to be gods plan for maintaining forestation. :-)

I give Woody high potency coarse, he likes being able to grip them and then dunk them in his water for a second or two and then he will hold one in his foot and eat it slowly - relishes every bite. I don't think he would be able to do that so well with the fine.

What's your birds eating style? :P