NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Toxic plants? Cramps in feet? Diet?

Iloveanimals

Oh boy! I have learned so much about my CAG in the last couple of days. Thanks to all who have responded to my message. Before I go on, I wanted to let you know that my boy was DNA tested, hatched on May 1, 2008, came trained with the "step up" command and already potty trained. His name is "Zooloo".

I have also learned about foot cramps which are caused by having only one size perch. Also my guy came with a bad habit of making a shreeking noise which he learned from other CAGS during his stay with the breeder. Anyway, I am supposed to just ignore it. He does the step up command very well. I have been told to take him to his cage(small) and leave him there for only 5 to 10 minutes when he leaves his perch to go to other places he is not allowed ie furniture. It seems to have worked since I have only had to do this twice. I cannot get him to step up when I need to take him off my shoulder. It is very akward and my fingers are not as firm as usual. I think he is not confident in my attempts. Also, I would like to give him only the best food available, even if I have to make it. What do you think of sprouting? I have been told that lentils are the easist to sprout. Also, what is a good treat? Now, that I've discovered his cage is too small, I need to get a larger one. Finances are holding me back for awhile on that, so how long is too long for keeping him in a not quite 2x2 cage? I certainly would have never purchased it if I had been told that it wasn't adequate. EEEEK. I take him out a lot, but even so, he will be in it when I am away. I have much more, but I will ask the rest later.

Cages----if you live in the US and purchase from EBAY, go there and type in bird cages in their seasrch line. A large variety of pictures with all sorts of cages. There's at least 7 or 8 pages.

Press the BUY IT NOW

A large variety of cages will open up and all are brand new and have only one price--bidding isn't necessary.

Look for the company called DEMSONDDEPOT.com

you can get a powder coated , 5 cup cage with playstand on top --comes in different colors and slightly different styles--for a grey, the best size would be

32in. x 28in. x55in

The price including S/H will be $200.

The difference between this cage and a store cage is that the one on EBAY have no brand name.

All of the other bird supply companies sell the same cages but the one I mentioned has the best price

PS--a 2 by 2 ft cage isn't a very good idea. There's no room in the cage after a few toys have been added plus there's bowls that also take up room.

10.jpg

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/28 01:50<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/28 01:53

I would get a new cage ASAP!!!! My finches have bigger cages than the one you have for your grey, and being in a cage that cramped could cause injury to his wings and feet. I bet the bar spacing is not wide enough and I have seen a few greys chop off toes in the grates in small cages.

I got my cage from the Ebay store Dave told you about and I love it...and Elmo loves it.

028.jpg

You have been busy learling. I take my hat off to you. As you already realise your grey needs a larger cage. Get one when you can.I see you are having problems getting the bird off your shoulder, the simple answer is not to let him up their. I would not like a bite off a grey to my face. Well done for picking up all you have about greys. Keep learning. I am, every day. Is your bird on seed or pellets. Harrisons organic pellets are in my opinion ideal. Greys are recomended to have Harrisons high potency course. Good luck Sheila<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2008/09/28 13:11

Don't feel so guilty, you didn't know but you know now and a new cage is coming, so Zooloo will have the space he needs soon.

I do allow my grey on my shoulder but she does come down when I ask but if you are having a problem with him not obeying you with that command then by all means do not allow him up there, you will have to be persistant and may have to work some to get him to not go up there but he will understand that you don't want him up there, patience and time will do that for you.