NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Do You Speak Parrot?

LindaMary

We talk so much here about whether and when and how much our fascinating companions use our human language (as well as all the other sounds they like to use). I'm curious: how many of us find this to be a two-way street? I can't help myself: I often find myself in conversations with Max where I'm imitating noises she makes, too. (I remember learning a lot of "Robin" when I raised a robin once, too...) No idea what I'm saying, of course - except general tone :P !

I'm sure it means she'll pick up "human" more slowly - but we both seem to enjoy it and have a good time. After all, what does it say about species intelligence if they can use our language, but we can't use theirs? :blush:

Does anyone else do this?

LindaMary wrote:

Does anyone else do this?

Yes:blush: I do, I can't help myself either, she says some of her words and phrases and I will repeat it back to her and my hubby will do the same at times. Sometimes it does seem like we carry on a conversation with each other. Maybe it sounds silly but then aren't we all just like little kids with our birds, just like we are with our children or grand children.

I don't think it hampers her picking up more "human" words, in fact it broadens it some, I will say something similar after what she said and then she repeats it back to me.

I am sure you would laugh at what we talk to each other about and the things she says but then I think that everyone else is doing the same thing, just using different words and phrases.:laugh: :whistle:

"""they can use our language but we can't use theirs?""

But actually, you can. Just get a feather duster and tie it to your neck with the feathers pointed up above your head. get some white paint and paint a big circle around each eye. Then take some black paint and paint your nose black. Periodicaly, lift one arm up and scratch that arm pit with the other hand. Make sure there's no shoes on. When you're sleepy, slightly lift one arm, turn your face to that area and stick your face in that area. Have a piece of rope hanging in front of you that you can nibble on. Your bird should be able to see this. This is very important--have a bowl of peanuts around yourself and periodically pick one up with one hand/claw and eat the nut.Share them with your bird. All flock animals share. Make sure the peanuts are unshelled. Almonds are popular. They will relate to you better. All day long have bird chats and more than likely, you'll get answers back which you'll eventually understand. After all, who needs human words?

PS--as far as the resting and sleeping during the day, do it when your bird does it. After all, if he's asleep he won't be watching you. You'll get a chance to rest up too.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/27 19:12

sure I talk parrot. I find myself repeating words and sounds charlie makes all the time. Best is the whistling comptitions, he whistles a tune and I repeat it, he keeps adding bits on till I cant even keep up with half of it,he even laughs when I give up.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2008/09/29 19:53

she wrote:

sure I talk parrot. I find myself repeating words and sounds charlie all the time. Best is the whistling compertitions, he whistles a tune and I repeat it, he keeps adding bits on till I cant even keep up with half of it,he even laughs when I give up.

I do the same with Misty. I love the way he looks at me when he is waiting for my reply. I also think it encourages him to learn new words and phrases from me.

Nevertheless he is much better at using human speech than I am at using parrot talk :)

Steve n Misty