NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gabby is Home!!!!

MARIR

Good morning everyone, Gabby is home!!! Sorry this is so long....I stayed home from work yesterday (Monday) to make sure everything was smooth. The trip home was uneventful, she was a little upset at first, but i had my hand in the carrier and was whispering and she calmed down. She absolutely loves the cage, the swing is her most favorite thing... Her nails are extremely sharp I guess from not having any other perch beside a rope perch, but we're off to the vets on Friday to have a nice trim of the nails and wings. Shes doing great eating and sleeping and playing but she is very clumsy and does not want in the cage if she can be out playing with us. I had asked a question about how to introduce her and our sun conure Sammie, well, we have tried without success, Sam gets upset if they are closer than 7 feet. I was holding Gabby, and my husband had Sam, who flew AT me, I put my arm out and Sam landed, and ran up my arm and bit my neck. Not a fun experience, for any of us. Does anyone have ANY advice on what to do now?!? HELP. Sammie hates her!

Maybe you should let them get used to each other first each in their own cage not too far away from eachother? This is just a suggestion of course and in now professional advise. But it is what I would do.....

Then, I would also pay an even amount of attention talking between the two birds (or am I comparing this too much to children? :blush: )

Guest Monique

No, FairY ... I agree. :lol: They are just like children in some ways!!! I would be sure to give attention to both of them but also if Gabby has a routine I would try really hard not to interrupt it or make her feel jilted with the new bird.

Little birds sure can have BIG 'tudes can't they!! I have a Sun Conure and my dog is scared of her! :P

You'll get through it MARIR. Just keep working at it and posting for ideas when individual stuff comes up. It will turn out okay!!!!

well lastnight i had Sam (SC) and my hubby had Gabby (CAG) and Sam (getting wings clipped Friday) flew over and ran up my husbands arm and chased Gabby, CHASED!!! I could not believe it, well my hubby grabbed Sam, and I grabbed Gabby, she was not upset just making noises. Sam went back into his cage and Gabby went back into hers. About 1/2 hour later Sam came out for snack and mommy time...took about 1/2 hour, then it was Gabbys turn. Sam stood on top perch watching the whole time, making ME feel pretty guilty. After that it was bedtime. I guess we'll try this, for a while and see if Sam will accept her into our "flock"...keep your fingers or toes lol crossed.

you too. its only been 2 1/2 days that she's been home, and already I can't imagine home without her...she's a joy... this morning my daughter 13yo...was saying "let me hear a woo woo..." and Gabby was babbling oo ooo soooo cute we started laughing, we've been saying hello, and shes saying syllables....eeeeoooo

Sounds really like a new baby's come home :laugh: Poor Sam :P You know how you always prepare your child for the arrival of the newborn? They also need that: all of a sudden the child has to share in the attention of the mother.

(OK, OK, I'll stop now comparing :blush: )

no its not complaining at all...just good advice and your opinion. i agree with you though, for a week before Gabby came home, we had the cage together, and i'd go over and pretend to feed her, calling her name...etc...

lastnight was the first time i was 1 foot away (holding Sam) from Gabby (held by my husband) I told Sam he was a good boy, and gave him a peanut...he didn't even try to fly or talk to her...the peanut kept him happy...and occupied so I could get close. tonight we'll try to set down on the couch with both of them, and of course a treat....thanks for all your advice!!!!

Oh, so that certainly shows improvement (getting used to her rather). I'm curious to know when Sam will have fully accepted her :)

Good luck on the couch B)

Lastnight I had a glass of juice, Sammie was on my arm running trying to get it, and Gabby was with my hubby, I gave Sam a sip and then offered it to Gabby, well, pretty soon they were side by side pulling on the cup, sharing! Until of course between the three of us, we finished it off, then Sam got upset and started after her again...but who knows by next week this time, maybe they'll be sharing fruit....I can only hope...

well, forget bonding, Sammie's got another new sister...and flew over to her and bit her on the tail feather, well she screached and glided and he landed on my head laughing...his little "ah ha ha ha ha" laugh.

I'd like to know if anyone has two african greys that are around the same age or same age...HOW DO YOU TELL THEM APART???? Gabby and Izzy were clutch mates, and they look exactly alike.....my husband suggested painting someones toenails, that did not sound safe especially with the fumes and chemicals. any suggestions?

Would puting a small ring over the leg of one of them be harmful? I don't think any paint should be used, exactly as you say - because of the harmful fumes and toxics that it might contain...

MARIR wrote:

you too. its only been 2 1/2 days that she's been home, and already I can't imagine home without her...she's a joy... this morning my daughter 13yo...was saying "let me hear a woo woo..." and Gabby was babbling oo ooo soooo cute we started laughing, we've been saying hello, and shes saying syllables....eeeeoooo

How old is Gabby?

That's me again 'put a small ring over her leg' :laugh: in normal language meant 'banding' of course :laugh:

This subject is running now over spread over a few topics here. I'm curious to know what the vet said ;)