NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

biting

shazbaby36

hi could anyone let me know my 4 months grey is ok with myself and my husband he lets us cuddle him and play with him but when it comes down to my 2 boys holding him he dont like and he trys to bite them is there anythink i could do so he lets them touch him as they r getting very upset with it

Guest Monique

How old are your boys? We've never let our children handle our birds (except for the Conure who is very small and passive) until they were very mature. We did let them give supervised scritches. Children can frighten some birds because they do things unexpectedly both noise-wise and movement-wise. Greys are probably one of the less compatible birds with children. Better would be a budgie or cockatiel if your kids are real bird crazy and want to get started.

I agree that it takes a mature youngster to handle a grey. When I took my two girls up to my breeders house, they kept jerking their hand away every time Ollie tried to "beak" their finger. I kept telling my daugter to stop pulling away or she will teach Ollie to "catch the finger" and it will not be fun. She could not help her self, therefore, She is not allowed to touch Ollie anymore. I do not want my bird to pick up the "catch the finger" habit.

My girls are just to jumpy around this kind of bird.

Shazbaby it really depends on who old your children are (although that doesn't always say something about their behaviour). If they're old enough you can tell them that a bird has instinct and children have brains and therefore they have to learn how to approach your grey: you mention the trust-finding element, slowly approaching - sweet talking, no loud or sudden reactions, and getting closer each time over a long period of time.

But, who as I know that children usually lack patience :P I am not sure it can be done :)

Guest Monique

Something must be different about their mannerisms. Can you tell what it is? If you really want them to hold and they also, I think they are definitely old enough to learn. Although once your Grey matures it may become quite a bit choosier about who it wants to hold it. But when they are younger they are generally a little more pliable and it is good for them to have lots of experiences and interacations.

Coco will let me tickle her and cuddle, etc, but let a man come near her, and she goes ballistic - Also, if you think of certain types of dogs, a lot of them don't like kids - maybe it's the same issue? Do you kids tease the grey when you not looking? It's possible that your grey just doesn't like kids? LOL... Like some people??? :P

can you sit your daughter down and let the african grey come to her...she does not have to "hold" it theres alot of other activities that they could find to do that would be fun, peek a boo, snack time. etc...then maybe given a few days your daughter wouldn't be so frightened and the bird might relax too.