NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To cover or not

cflanny

The cage is in the front of the house and my room is in the back I am not sure if I should cover Zeros cage or not at night.I have read different things that not having them covered will help if he has a nightfright but others say to cover to help them feel secure?? I am worried if he has a fright I wont hear him. the room he is in has a adjustable light and I plan on using it as a night light for him. hes not home yet this weekend hopefully I am just obsessing on everything:P

So do you cover?? Can I cover 3 sides??

Both methods are good. There's so many reasons to do it or not do it. I can tell you that whatever method you do decide will eventually be what the bird accepts all the time and will be pissed if you change that method. Some use it cause of visible movement. A cover may let the bird relax when that happens and he/ she continues sleeping. Other people wanna always see their bird. Other people have their birds near areas (windows) where some night time creatures are roaming around so the bird spots or hears it and yells so a cover is used. What they hear is nothing compared to what they see. Other people cover their birds because of lightening or the instant loud cracks of tremendous thunder. Other people don't cover. Some birds are near TVs. Some people stay up very late. So called "night frights" aren't as bad as you think. They happen a lot less than you might think--greys are clumsy. They're sleeping and then then they fall off the cage. Some people think that's traumatic.Some people label it as * night frights* Actually, the bird is more surprised than hurt. So the the choice is yours.

PS--just remember that what can happen to a bird that's uncovered can also happen to a bird that is covered.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/22 18:45

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/22 18:49<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/22 19:04

I don't believe one way is more right than the other. I think, like clipping, it's a personal choiceand that as long as it works for you and your flock it's right.

That said, for what it's worth... We don't cover. We go to bed around 10 every night. I'm off to work at 6 and the birds wake up when they feel like it. My husband is home all day with them. I leave them uncovered so they can see me as well as hear me while I'm getting ready for work. I talk to them and tell them why I'm bothering them "just me looking for my shoes" or whatever. I don't want to startle them. Their cages are all on the second floor of our house so they are not bothered by the neighbors dog loose at night, or car headlights. Also, if I sleep in, and they're up before me, they can enjoy the view of the wild birds outside their windows eating out of the bird feeders. So far we're all happy with our choice.

Good luck making your choice. :)

At the moment we are having some difficulty in deciding weather to cover or not to cover. Zahzu used to be fine being covered up since we got her last year, however over the past 6 weeks or so she takes a long time to settle after being covered and flaps her wings in (what I assume is) frustration.

I'm thinking its worth trialing not covering her...hmmm...

-Sameera