NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

How to make asparagus??

Raiderbabe

I just bought some asparagus for Malibu. Can anyone tell me how to make it please? I really have no clue because I have never made it. And also after I do find out how to make it, what parts of it are good for him to eat? I am not a veggie person so this is all new to me...B) THanks everyone!

Here's some ways to do it

It's pretty easy to cook. takes about 15/20 minutes

Here's How:

Soak the asparagus in cold water for several minutes. Swish it to remove dirt and grit.

Bend each stalk gently until the tough, woody end snaps off. You may cut the ends off with a sharp knife.

Discard the ends or set aside.

If the asparagus is particularly tough or old, remove the skin from the stalk with a vegetable peeler.

To boil, tie the asparagus in bundles (this makes them easy to remove all at once) and immerse in boiling, salted water. Blanch for about 10 minutes, or just until tender. Remove bundles immediately, remove strings, and keep warm.

If using an asparagus cooker or tall pot, tie and stand the asparagus upright with the spears above water, then cover and cook just until the stalks are tender but still firm.

To microwave, arrange the spears in a round baking dish with the tips toward the center. Add 2 tablespoons of water. Cover and cook on HIGH (100% power) for 8 minutes or until crisp-tender, rotating the dish a half turn after about 4 minutes.

No matter what method you use, asparagus has to be cooled to room temperature or slightly warm temperature.

PS--Forgot. The green area is the best but none of the other areas will hurt him. Better still, make broccali--the green area is jammed packed with healthy goodies for your bird.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/22 02:07

Thanks everyone for the responses! I gave it to Malibu tonight raw and he seemed to really like it. I am lucky that he really likes to try new things. He dives right into his bowl of veggies to see what is new. All I did was cut it into long strips even with the tops on and gave it to him. Is that what everyone else does?

I also have another question. I bought Malibu collard greens twice already and i cut them up small and put them in his bowl. He doesn't really seem to like them at all. He picks them out and drops them. Any other ideas on how to get him to eat them?

Almost all greys will not accept everything you offer even though you might think it's the best. That also goes for fruit or human food or treats. Since you're new in the veggie/fruit thing, you'll need to know that the time of trial and error has arrived. Almost all grey owners go through this but some don't.