NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Flower Essences

Matthew

Does anyone here use flower essences on their birds? I've had really good luck with FES Animal Rescue Formula and I've also used Bach Rescue Remedy. Also, does anyone use them in their birds water? I've only used the sprays. How much do you need to dilute them down for water use?

When I was working with Burnie (a stressed out cockatiel I adopted a few years ago) she really seemed to calm down if I sprayed one quick mist over her cage before handling her. It's also helped Tucker (CAG) accept changes better. Anyone else had any luck with them?

Sorry i have never heard of them perhaps other members will share their experiences if they have used them.Here is a little info from the web for anyone who is interested ...

FLOWER ESSENCES AND REMEDIES are dilute extracts of various flowers. Bach Flower Remedies are the most popular and were developed in England by Dr. Edward Bach, who spent his life researching and developing the thirty-eight remedies that he discovered. These gentle essences work on the emotions of the body, and both animals and people respond well to their use. They can be used to treat various emotional problems as well as to modify behavioral problems.

I'm just curious why this was moved to the African Grey forum when it's not specifically about greys? It's about using flower essences to calm emotions such as fear when working with birds.

I could see the Health section, since it does deal with emotional health.<br><br>Post edited by: Matthew, at: 2008/09/22 03:56

I have given Rescue Remedy to my daughter with great effect prior to exams, it definitely took the edge of her fear and calmed her down visibly. I have never used it, nor thought to used it on my birds! It is certainly something worth considering;)

BTW the post was moved as it is not strictly to do with training, but something that could interest all grey owners.

I found this quick explanation of flower essences.

http://birdloversonly.blogspot.com/2007/10/bach-flower-remedies.html

They really are amazing. Every bird owner should at least have one of the Rescue formulas around.

I only use very small amounts on the birds. I'll spray one mist a couple feet above them. I really want to learn more about using diluted mixes in their water. I'm leaving for a week long trip soon, and thought maybe they would help Tucker with his separation anxiety. He tends to sit in the corner of his cage and look all sad the whole time I'm gone. Poor little guy.