NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello From Oregon

tibanks

Hello Fellow grey lovers. My name is Tina, I joined this group about a year ago, and Im sorry I have not been an active member.

I have two Greys, Granite is a 10 y/o Timneh, and I have a 14 month congo named Ruby. I also have some smaller birds(parakeets)in an Aviary. Both my Greys are second hand parrots that I have befriend & rehomed. Granite has been with us 7yrs, and Ruby only a few months. Granite the Timneh is a wonderful talker, not sure how many words, but I guess well over 100. Nothing I've really taught her, but things she has picked up living here in the home. I am a Stay at home wife & mom, so these birds are a big part of our day, and major part of the family.

Ruby my Congo is a real sweety, she has one bad habit that bugs me which is calling like a Cockitiel very loudly...Her first home had a cockitiel and conure and she has picked up on some of their chatter. I dont try to reinforce the habit and just ignore it. I also try to take her out when she is not making these calls. I dont think she is using the vocalization as a flock call, but more part of her regular vocalization..I am hoping in time this call will disappear as she learns new sounds, and hopefully words. Any advice.

Tina in OR.

Hi Tina,

Welcome back to the forum!! lol

The best ways to get rid of the bad habit is just to ignore it im afraid which is what you have been doing.

Maybe some of the other memebers will be able to give you alternative advice.

Nims and Indy

Thanks for the warm welcome. I feel very fortunite to have these birds in my life. I've kept birds for the last 20 yrs, and love the companionship they offer, cant imagine one day w/o them. It took me 4yrs to decide if adding another Grey was something I wanted to do. I've had an excellent relationship with my Timneh Granny(aka Granite)for 7 years and I didn't want to ruin that by adding another. I am now so pleased with the decision I made, I love both my birds..Each having their own unique personality.

Tina

Welcome back Tina and congrats on the new addition to your flock, we would love to hear more about these greys so be sure to return more often and keep us updated, staying away for nearly a year is way too much time so come on and join in the sharing and fun.

Love to see some pictures if you have any you would share with us.:):P

Hi Tina. I sympathise with the problem you have with your grey calling like a cockatiel. My grey does the same. Problem is I also have a cockatiel so no chance of curing the habbit.I just live with it,just keep ignoring this behaviour and praise when he is not doing it.Funny thing is that my cockatiel can say almost all that the grey can. Best wishes

Hi and welcome back. I love hearing from people who have taken in older birds. Baxter was 12 when he came to live with me in July 08. He is doing really good in just short time. About a month later, my neighbor brought over a lost conure, tried to find the owners but not successful, we call him Bonkers, then a few weeks ago I bought a 5 year old male Eclectus named Tigger. Never had a baby bird yet. I would love to have a parrot from a baby but there seems to be too many older birds that need loving homes, too. Anyway, hope to see you around the forum and love to hear more about your flock. :)