NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

MY AFRICAN GREY

KOOS

Hallo, i'm am totally new in the African Grey pet field, but i am so proud and happy to have one. My parrot is a "sweety", besides the fact that he/she (how would i know?) get aggresive when i stop playing with him/her. I'm sure i will be able to solve that problem. I do have a question i would like to ask you though and that is that i'm a bit worried about the colour of my parrot. It was a "normal" grey colour when i bought it, but now it seems to me that the grey fade, as well as the red of the tail. Could that be a diet problem (i feed him "Marlton's gourmet parrot food and Brenco's new generation parrot mix, as well as parrot treats and fruit.)

Hi Koos & Welcome to the forum.

Here is the link for hand feeding your baby grey,just click on it & have a good read.Some babies do start of being fairly dark & their colour can fade slightly over time,i wouldnt expect a dramatic change at this young age.If you are worried perhaps give your vet a call.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/the-nursery/73409-handfeeding-a-baby-grey.html

Your Grey needs to have a balanced diet of fruit and vegetables,eggs,legunes, squash ,sweet potatos, cooked and raw vegetables . Potatos should always be cooked dark green leafy vegetable are very good for them pretty much anything you eat your bird can eat except for avacados,and onions.your bird needs all these things to stay healthy and happy. My birds prefer their vegetable steamed and mashed. they will eat snap peas,green beans, and dark leafy things raw. But most things like carrots squash, turnip, yams. and even peas they like mashed so three times a week I cook up all those thing and mash it together and feed it to them for their dinner they love it. Ont oyher days they get pasta and sauce with a peice of multi grain bead or raw veggies made into a salad like romain lettce spinach beet greens, hot red peppers, snappeas, grated carrots, what ever I have in the house. You ge the Idea anyway they need to eat like we should eat. at breakfast I make omlettes, french toast, oatmeal or fruit salad, for them If you feed your birds all these thing it will be healthy and they feathers will shine. a good seed mix and pellets. and a variaty of nut can also be offered as between meal snacks. I feed my birds twice a day

I think the "fading" may be due to the dust. Do you bath your grey regularly, and are you getting him wet to the skin. A quick misting doesn't work on greys because the dust acts as a water repelant and you need to get the feathers good and wet to rinse the dust off.

I was thinking that also. I know that Tyco seems to be more dusty than usual latley usually she manages to kepp her beak pretty black but latley its more grey because of all the dust and you canactually see the dust on her head and neck. when I give her scritches I get just covered and I soak her every second day in the shower. it seems the more she baths the more she preens and the more she preen the more dusty she get :laugh: