NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

parrot training dvds

tony1986

Try different kinds of nuts and see what he likes best. So far I haven't been able to find anything that Alex will do anything for except cheese. But that wouldn't be good for trainig he would get to much of it. So for me the serch continues. Though he does respond pretty well to prase but not all the time. If he doesn't feel like doing something he just wont do it.

Josey is the same way Suzanne, she will do anything for a piece of cheese, I guess you could cut a small piece into very small pieces to use for training but not too often.

A lot of the members say their greys love almonds and pine nuts but Josey could care less about them.:blink:

You asked about training DVDs. Quite a few people have very little luck with them and most of them are aimed at smaller birds anyway. It doesn't surprise me that your bird isn't interested. There are also DVDs that teach a bird to talk. Also a big waste of time. The person on the DVD is a computerized voice who repeats one thing over and over for a certain amount of time ( approx 2 minutes per track). The voice sounds nothing like the owner's voice.

Hi there--hi there--hi there---hi there--hi there ..for 2 straight minutes. Then the next track comes on and does the same thing with other words. After 30 seconds, the bird is totally oblivious to the disk. Also a huge waste of time and money.

Training takes quite a while and should only be done between the bird and the owner on a personal basis. Older birds will take longer to train and just know that everything you try to teach an older might not be successful.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/09/17 20:39

Depends what training you want. We brought Barabara Heidenreich's DVD's and we have found them really good. I think though that are are aimed more at teaching us how to actually train our bird and what is the best way. She worked wonders in helping us learn how to get teach our grey to step up and then we used the same technique to train other things.

I got the trick training DVD from www.Birdtricks.com by Chet and Dave Womach. I really liked it and I was able to train my Sun and Grey the tricks with no problem. I;m actually going to get the other DVD's for more advanced tricks one of these days.

I used shelled Sunflower seeds for training...and only for training. I don't feed them to Elmo in his normal diet so he will do ANYTHING for them. I get the ones that you can get in the produce department that are unsalted.

Tycos very favorite kind of nut is brazil nuts that bird will do anything for a brazil nut. I try not to use treats as rewards for doing something. I use praise for learning new things. I want her todo thing because she enjoys doing it. not because she's going to get something for it. I use brazil nuts for speical bonding time to show hwe that I love her when she sits and let me preen her pin feathers. or when were sitting watching tv together. Its just something speceil to give her that she doesn't get all the time.

I am using sunflower seeds, but just for training they are small and easy to use. Just one at a time when he does what I expect, Mika is learning to dance on his perch, when he follows my lead (and that quite the sight) he gets rewarded if not I crack 1 and eat it, he gets nothing and we start again.It will not happen over night but it will happen, also remember I am starting out with a baby, so I can not offer any advise to training an older bird.

Mika is quite the little reto man loves the sound track of the Big Chill.

Carolyn & Mika