NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Alfie and dogs

kevin67

Sorry i haven't posted in a while but a few days ago my mother asked me to watch her dog, rico, for a night as she was working, and as normal i took him, but this is the first time i have watched the dog since i have had my Grey,Alfie. as soon as the dog walked in to the room Alfie started screaming and puffing himself out, so i sent the dog out into the kitchen thinking Alfie would just need time to get used to him. but after the dog went home every time my daughter walks in with her teddies he does the same thing as if he is frightened. Alfie is around 18 weeks old, so is it just because he is a baby and will he get used to things like this?

sorry for the long story

thanks kevin

I would guess it was a hasty introduction and Alfie just wasn't ready for it, he should have been taken in slowly to avoid scaring Alfie and then he could come closer.

I would say Alfie will gradually get used to it as time goes by but some greys do not like sudden changes or any changes for that matter so give him a little time and talk to him in a soothing voice and reassure him that he is going to be fine.

Hi Kevin, don't feel badly re: posting - it's been a while for me too - work has me pretty occupied lately!

I have two greyhounds, and Bella, my CAG, who I got when she was 4 months old would growl and freak out when the dogs ran past her cage as well.

Today the dogs are part of her flock. In fact, when one of my hounds wasn't in the room with us when Bella asked for her! :laugh:

When the dogs run outside barking, Bella runs to the window barking - in fact, Bella has been barking at me all morning :blink: She does this crazy little dance when she barks too! She bobs up and down, gets on her tippy toes and makes the funniest faces! I have no idea what the animations are about, but it makes my laugh like crazy!

When the dogs are circling me begging, Bella joins them. Bella also eats from my plate and the dogs wait around for Bella to drop some food. She is particularly good for them when she grinds a chicken bone down to meal and the dogs can lick up the meal! :P

But!!! Even though they have what seems ot be a great relationship - I don't leave them alone with each other. Greyhounds are gentle, but they are dogs and they do have an instinct to chase prey. I don't want to risk any accidents :)

Cheers!

Terri

Hi Kevin,

Greys by nature are very alarmed by most things they do not recognize. You will hear those screams forever, anytime you place something in front of him that scares him.

It normally takes a Grey days to weeks looking at something from a distance before they will be comfortable with it. The time varies from Grey to Grey.

Their screams are alarming the first time you hear it, aren't they? :-)

judygram wrote:

talk to him in a soothing voice and reassure him that he is going to be fine.

LOL Judy - I always tell Dayo "It's Ok" when showing him something new or walking past with something in my hand he shows concern over. Now, when he is exploring something he does not trust 100%, he will say to himself "It's Ok, It's Ok". :-)

Alex is very confident and with one exception has not shown fear of anything. His normal responce is let me see! Can I chew it up? Does it make noise? Mine! Mine! Oh and toy making is here mom let me help! Ooo everything is fun to trow on the floor! The more noise it makes going onto the floor the better!

He is also not scared of the cats or the dog. He has bit them all for getting to close. Though the dog loves to wait under the playstand and see what Alex drops. And Alex loves to feed her after he has eatten what he wants from our plates at dinner. :P The little turkey! :D

danmcq wrote:

judygram wrote:
talk to him in a soothing voice and reassure him that he is going to be fine.

LOL Judy - I always tell Dayo "It's Ok" when showing him something new or walking past with something in my hand he shows concern over. Now, when he is exploring something he does not trust 100%, he will say to himself "It's Ok, It's Ok". :-)

Oh my Gosh Dan, that is so funny! He's self-soothing! Isn't that something!!