NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Poop smells like skunk

j2judybug

Hey everybody- I'm new here but already LOVE this site. I was just reading the topic on poop, but this is slightly different. I realize that poop is a big indicator of sickness, so I am concerned for the bird, not my house:lol:

My african Grey's poop all of a sudden is smelling like a skunk! She looks healthy enough, I haven't changed her diet, I am having to change her papers several times each day because the smell is so awful...so any ideas???<br><br>Post edited by: j2judybug, at: 2008/09/15 04:17

Thanks for the response- I've read all about birds hiding their sickness, but I really don't feel like she is sick- she is talking and singing and whistling like she always does- wouldn't hurt to have her checked out, though.

I'd be glad to intro myself in the welcome room but I just can't find it...it will take me a little while to learn to navigate this site- I'm just getting comfy with facebook!

Hi j2judybug & Welcome.

Sometimes our greys poop can smell,give off a little odour.If the poop looks ok & she is not showing any outwards sign of illness then i think your be fine.If your in any doubt then please consult your vet.

Here is what i posted earlier on a different thread ;)

Droppings actually consist of three recognizable parts: feces, clear urine and a white urine called urates. Generally, the feces part of the dropping should be green or brown. It should be solid and coiled like a snake, segmented or in pieces. The urine portion of the stool should be clear and watery. Urates should be an opaque white-beige crystalline material. Sometimes the urine and urates are mixed, creating a cloudy-looking material, but usually they are separate.

• 1 month later...

I have a 13 year old female, over the last couple of months poop in the morning especially way too wet, very smelly. Diet has not changed, pellets, fruit, veggies etc. Took her to avian vet in Austin all test results came back normal...although she acts very normal something is not right. Have you discovered anything new recently?

Coyote

I called the vet, was going to bring in some droppings, then it just seemed to clear up. After reading Coyote's post, I wonder if poop just happens to be weird sometimes, so of like it happens to us??? As soon as she does another smelly one, I'm taking it in, and I'll let you know.

Coyote - You Wrote: "over the last couple of months poop in the morning especially way too wet, very smelly."

If it's only the morning, it is probably nothing to worry about. The amount of water depends upon how much fluids she had in terms of water and fruits/veggies in the evening.

Just seems strange after 13 years that she would have this...diarrhea every morning that smells horrible? She is acting normal in every other way, blood tests were clear, samples of "regular poop" proved normal...I don't know still feels like something is not right. I'm going to change her pellets and see what happens.

Coyote

• 1 year later...

1. I have had a pigeon for about one year and I noticed that when she over-eats and sits on her eggs for 20 days, she tends to hold her poop longer (she is very smart bird and does not want to poop around her nest - her nest is in my bedroom). So, being a very smart bird, she flys to the feeder in the corner of the bedroom and poops from or near the "designated pooping area". Very smart bird. Makes it easy for me to clean up. But her poop stinks to heaven when she does not poop very often. That happens when I am not around and she cannot leave her nest (eggs). As soon as I come back from school - she knows it is my turn to sit on eggs - and she starts flying around and pooping all those huge chunks of poop she was holding when I was not around.

2. She likes "service": when there are no seeds in the dish she starts flying from the dish and onto my head, and back and forth. That is her signal she wants me to put seeds into her dish. But recently I noticed she just want attention: she has seeds, egg-shells, stones, water, greens, etc (everything that a bird needs) yet she would start flying back and forth onto my head and back to the dish. She just want me to show her that I pay attention and that give her things if she demands it. She is just verifying the communication system is working. She just wants attention and service. Social bird.

Conclusion: the stinky poop is most likely from overeating and from diminished movements of the bird (sedentary lifestile). I notice MY OWN poop starts smelling like hell when I overeat and skip one hour of sweat-drenching gym session.

My african Grey's poop all of a sudden is smelling like a skunk! She looks healthy enough, I haven't changed her diet, I am having to change her papers several times each day because the smell is so awful...so any ideas???<br><br>Post edited by: j2judybug, at: 2008/09/15 04:17

poop is a funny thing ;)

You really need to be cognizant of what your fid is eating/drinking. At times ours will just download full water and I panic but then remember we gave them some apple juice with breakfast! Just remember that what you see going in you should see going out (having the knowledge of avain poop as a foundation, of course).

Call me crazy, but I've caught more than one download in my hand just for the purpose of inspecting it lol. Hands wash easier than carpets, too :)