NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Feather Plucking

cfc1608

I inherited Corky when my dad passed away in Septemer 2006. He's about 4 years old now. The plucking started a few weeks before my dad died. Corky and 2 other birds came to live with me while my dad was in the hospital. One was a red Lori. Snoopy died shortly after my dad did. The 3rd is a Nanday Conure that I gave to my dad that found my nephew while he was at work. His name is Bubba. I own myself a cocketial and a Sun Conure. I work full-time and they are alone during the day. When I get home at 6:00 p.m. I let them out until about 9:00-9:30. Their wings are clipped so they all stay on top of their cages. Back to Corky. What started out to be a small spot has turned into all the way around his head and down his chest and under his wings. He has new feathers coming in. Yesterday I caught him chewing on a pulled out new sprout about 2" long like a stick. I took it away from him and said bad boy. He has a cage full of toys both inside and out. He gets a bowl of mixed veggies every night. He eats pellots. He gets sunflower seeds and seed treats. His chest where it is plucked clean has a grayish tint in 1 spot but mostly a pinkish tint everywhere else. He baths himself. Doesn't like to be sprayed. I took him to the vet after the Lori died and she said nothing was wrong with him but the plucking continues. All I see is everyone's African Gray's pluck and the same answer - toys! We need help bad! He's cold, shivers all the time. Pretty soon he's going to be saying "don't pluck your feathers Corky!"

I've not had this problem (yet), and really commiserate with you - it must be really tough. So this piece of advice is not tried and tested, just something I read somewhere - someone suggested getting pea sticks - lots and lots of them - and shoving them through the bars of the birds cage so that they have to climd round and through them to get around the cage. Apparently its really effective with the hard case feather pluckers, but as I said I don't know if this works for real,

Good luck,

julia

I have read that greys need lots of toys that they can chew on or they can over preen them selfs. Your case sounds like a real feather plucking problem. My guess is that the sudden change, your fathers death, has put a big change on the birds normal life. You can't scold a bird like you can a dog, it will do no good. I'm not an expert, but my guess is that you need to try and bond with him and things may change over time. Perhaps someone else who hase some experiance turning a feather pluck problem in to a non-plucking bird can offer better help.

Sorry to hear about your father. I lost my mother a few years ago and my heart goes out to you.

Cfc1608, welcome to the forum. I've done some research on the internet because you sound real desparate and from what you write I really feel sorry for Corky. So here it comes:

I found out that psychological (because you said the vet said there's nothing wrong with him physically) feather plucking can be caused by mycotoxins that might be in (some) seeds or shelled nuts, or kernel peanuts, or low blood calcium, or an allergic like reaction to preservatives. Did you change the brand of his feeding-products lately, maybe?

It is advised to move the cage to a more protective spot and increase on out of cage time and human inter-action. Maybe let him stay up until you go to bed?

Peanuts seem extra prone to contamination with mycotoxins. Therefore you should remove all nuts from their shell before giving it to him.

Do the pellets you are feeding him contain chemical preservatives or food-coloring? Swtich if so.

Zink. It could be related to zink or lead poisoning. Has your vet checked Corky on that as well? In some toy components, quick links and paint of the cage this has been found a problem.

Spraying with a mix of aloe gel and water may reduce any existing itches....

Is your home humid enough?

An anxious bird might feel comforted if he is fed hot wet foods by hand.

Even an wing clip that has been performed incorrectly could be a cause.

If all of this does not apply, I would advise that you may be consult an experienced avian behaviorist

Good luck, and the best for Corky :)

Wow! I wasn't expecting such a response. To try to answer everyone - Corky and I have actually bonded. Right off the bat. Of course he knew me from my visits with my dad. His favorite thing to do is jump off his cage (and he goes head first) and walk into the living room, walk up to me, says "hey" and I pick him up and we sit and I rub his head and neck. His favorite saying is "hey dum dum" from the movie Night at the Museum. Every morning it's "hey dum dum". Peek-a-boo dum dum, what'd you bring dum dum... So I'm pretty sure bonding is not the issue. He eats the fruit flavored Zupreme - the red ones. Poop is red. Everywhere is red. Tried to get him to eat the natural (Sun Conure eats that one) but he doesn't like that one. Picks out the red ones and they are in his water dish too. We waste the fruit flavored. I heard about the toxins on the peanut shells and noticed there's a lot of black on the shells and the guy at the bird food place said it was peanut oil. I open the shells and give them to him. He's not much for peanuts. Loves sunflower seeds. The conures scream for them. Now for the wing clipping. When I took them all to the vet some miles away (no avian vets in Wichita, Kansas apparentlt) (found out they like to sell them and no one wants to treat them) I asked her to trim his beak. She said she doesn't recommend that. She did clip is wings and by 10:00 p.m. that night he was covered in blood from picking at his toes that got clipped and since I had just lost the Red Lori I was scared I would lose Corkey and I put him in a bowl of flour and by the time we were done we both were covered in blood and flour. He survived. His wings looked terrible. It was my first guess this is why he's picking at his wings but he continues to do so. I called early in the week to this vet and asked for a blood test and made an appt for Saturday. When I got there she informed me she doesn't do blood work on the weekend. I was pretty upset over the wasted trip - not too mention I wanted his beak trimmed. Bubba started picking at his feet when dad got sick. I wanted them tested to make sure the Red Lori didn't have something transferable to the other birds. The only other thing is that my dad was a heavy smoker and I'm not. But their sinuses/nose cavities are clear. I know all about that because when I got the Sun Conure my boss gave him to me because he was in our office and was smoked on and got an almost fatal infection and I took care of him. He's been with me now for 5 years or so. So I'm at my wits end. But I'm working with him trying everything. The aloe vera and water is next. But he doesn't like to be sprayed but he will take a bath so I'm thinking I'll put some in his water and then replace it when he's done. Thanks everyone!!! The photo is him when he was at my dad's. I'll be uploading one of him with his naked chest shortly so you can see the difference.

Hi,

Again, this is only from what I've read, but I understand that if you have a sandy or concrete perch Corky will be able to rub his own beak into shape - as well as his nails. I'm in the UK, but wherever you are I'm sure you'll be able to get these online. I don't know if this will help, but I hope it will,

Julia

Guest Monique

The Aloe and Water is a good idea. I know you said he did not like to be sprayed. They do have misters, too. I wonder if you had ever tried that - perhaps he would look at it differently?

You are probably already thinking of this, but perhaps you could find a different avian vet? I googled for a board certified avian vet in Kansas and found this: Manhattan, KS - Christal Gayle Pollack (Kansas State Univ) - 785-532-4244

Maybe you could even call and she could guide your current vet (or a different vet) in some things to do if it is too far to travel. If you aren't comfortable with your current vet.

Please let us know how things proceed for you!!!

• 6 months later...

This is an update to Corky's feather plucking delimina almost a year ago. We have almost successfully grown back our feathers!!! He plucked out so much and was bare chested/neck too and the back of his head! He only has a small patch on the front of his neck now. This was resolved by buying him $165 worth of chew toys that he went through in 2 months then I found baby toys such as plastic keys ($2 at walmart) and round rings, spoons, etc. nothing with liquid just soft plastic, and they hang on the side of his cage and he chews and chews and chews and chews. And they last! Shoelaces work too. They hang on the outside of his cage and he pulls them through to the inside and chews and chews and chews! So thanks guys for all your input. I hope my solution helps a few other feather pluckers.

• 2 months later...

hi i have an african grey and NALA is also 4yrs old.

she started plucking her feathers few weeks before,i am the member of the eelite parrot club and they told me to use (100% Aloe Vera juice) you can get it from walmart pharmacy.i used it on her in a spray bottle no water added it gave her a soothing effect and i did that for 3days and she stopped doing it now i spray it once a week.cause they have 75% dandruff in the feathers and it can give them lots of itch.my bird in 3 days ate all her neck and chest feathers but now no more.and if he swallows it no worry it is safe people drink it when they have intestinal problems.:woohoo:

good luck.

nasima.