NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gnats

Satchel

Hi,

I am having problems with gnats in Tango's cage. I clean it out daily, but about half way through the day I am noticeing little gnats in his cage. Please tell me if this is common, and more importantly how can I stop it?

Thanks in advance again for help about this issue.

Sincerely seeking gnat free cage.

We had a gnat problem a few months ago. What we did was move the birds (with spotless cages) into a bedroom at night, put a grotty pear on the counter in the kitchen (gnats seem to love pears) and then sprayed them with Raid flying insect killer. By morning the Raid was gone and the birds didn't "miss" a thing, lol.

We had to do this a few times (for about 2 weeks) to get all the gnats, but it should work for you too. Oh I should mention that we didn't feed the birds very much fruits during this time because we were trying to "condense" the gnats to one spot. Any fruit the birds got was hand fed and anything they threw or dropped was taken away to use as "gnat bait," lol. Bananas work well too because they get gross much much faster.

Good Luck!

Linda

siobha9 wrote:

When you say gnats do you mean fruit flies? Here is a previous thread that may help.

http://http://www.greyforums.net/forums/african-grey/72305-help-with-fruit-flies.html#72306

This link is not opening. I tried it on two computers. I also did a search for fruit flies and am not finding any specifics.

I guess I will try the grotty pear thing, or maybe a nasty banana. I think that is a great idea. Thank you.

Yes we have just been through that problem as well. What we did was not feed them fruit or veg in the cage at all and I cleaned the cage everyday to make sure there were no traces of food residue. We only fed them dried stuff in the cage. After every meal I cleaned the fruit and veg out and washed the bowls. We also never left any fruit out and put it all in the fridge.

Lucky summer is over now and the problem has stopped.