NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Rescuing a parrot in the UK

nims

Hi,

I am considering rescuing a bird and I want to do plenty of research before I do. I know that it takes a lot of patience but I want to do all the homework before jumping into it.

I am thinking about adoption within a year or two. Indy will also have grown up a bit too.

I am in the UK does anyone know where I should start and who I should talk to?

Thanks

Nims

Thats great that your doing your home work their are plenty of parrots that need rescuing or rehomed it can be difficult to rescue parrots from a rescue orgamization depending on their adoption proceedures but if you don't mind putting a little money out there are lots of parrots in the classifieds that people don;t have time for. check it out. sometime you can even get them for free. just becareful of scams don't give any money before you get your bird. and don't buy any bird from another country like cameroon they are always scams

Hi and good for you on taking on a rescue or an older bird needing a new home. They need love, too;)

I am in the US but all I did was an online search in my area. Some came up through the online newspaper ads and theres another online sight I use, too. I was so shocked at how many older birds there are that need new homes because they are either not wanted or not taken care of properly. I have rehomed 2 older birds (Cag & Eclectus) and adopted a lost Nanday Conure:blink: All in 3 months time. :laugh:

Must admit, the grey is the "bestest" of the all:P

The Eclectus is a bit odd but a great talker and I found out after getting him that they have oil glands and do produce a light oily smell :ohmy: :laugh: Not anything bad though. (But my grey and conure are odorless) He is going to be a real clown when he settles in though I can already tell:) (Only had him a week so far)

The Nanday is so sweet and wants to snuggle all day long if you let it. It was almost aggrevating at first but now couldn't part with all that love;)

They are all good in their own ways but each one so different which I like. I totally recommend adopting an older bird and only advice I would offer is to make sure you know the personality and characteristics of each one. Can't believe the difference in mine but I love them all{Love-000200D8}

I always hear it might take some time and patiece but it wasn't anything hard for me at all and I am a total novice. Guess it all depends on which bird pick, too. Some might have issues worse than others. My grey had issues but since I didn't know any better I didn't know it and it was smooth sailing for us. Ignorance is bliss sometimes:P<br><br>Post edited by: BaxtersMom, at: 2008/09/12 22:30

I have both rescues and babies. three are rescues. i find that rescues can be extreamly rewarding it takes allot of work,patients and love with a rescue. After all is said and done I find my rescues to be just as loveing and wonderful as if I got them as babies. Babies are easy and will except everything you offer them a rescue will also but mabie only from you. they may turn into 1 person birds. My Amazon is a rescue and she is very loving and cuddly she will alow other to give her scritches if i say its ok but that has taken years. My Fieryshouldered Conure is also ver cuddly but will not alow anyone but me to touch her. Tyco My Grey I'm trying a new way with her. Myself and my dautghter both work with her. I find that its working well and I'm hoping the when she is finally total excepting of us she will also be more excepting with others. so far so good.

Thats exactly the kind of thing that I want to do. I love Indy (my CAG) but I want to be able to to give another bird a loving home with me and my husband. I want to give a bird a second chance in life because they deserve it as much as we do! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

So its been a month or so since I have posted. And I have talked about wanting and new bird or the possibility of rescuing one.

Soooooooo after trawling through the classifieds of so many unwanted birds I have chosen one!

I went so see a lady today who owns a CAG and is unable to keep it because she moving back with her mum who is allegic to him.

His name is Ice and he is a 4 year old male. Went to see him today and he is in very good condition. So am very excited that I will have a new addition to the family!