NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

New to the Bird World but LOVE Greys!

Hello there! I am Stacy from Missouri and am very interested in learning more about these wonderful birds so I can hopefully have one for a companion sometime in the not so distant future. I fell in love with African Grey's years ago, when I first saw them. Currently I am learning all I can about them, and open to the idea of adopting one. My husband of 15 years also loves them, as do our children ages 12 and 14. I have never owned a bird, and I know everyone recommends owning a small bird first, but I really have no interest in that. Tonight I am going to visit a Yellow Headed Amazon and will consider adopting him if we are a good match. I am nearing 40 and want a new hobby and friend(s) to devote my time to. My children are older now, so I have much time & attention to give.

Hi Stacy,

Welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place to learn all about these beautiful birds. Taking the time to find out everything you can about them will be invaluable in deciding whether a grey is the right bird for you;)

Good luck with whatever you decide, and let us know how it goes with the Amazon.

Siobhan

Hi and welcome here. I adopted a 12 year old grey a few months ago and He is the love of my life right now, my husband running a close second;). There are so many wonderful older birds that are needing new homes through no fault of their own and I recommended rehoming an older bird 100%. One advantage to an older bird is they come talking:) Atleaset mine did.

I've been around parakeets off and on through out my life but never took that much of an interest in them. A parrot on the other hand has me totally fascinated and has brought so much joy to my life.

Good luck on what ever you decide and please keep us posted, if you get the DYH there is a entire section about "other birds" What ever bird you get I'm sure it will be a great companion.

Hello Stacy and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your quest for a grey.

It usually is a good idea to start with a smaller bird first but that is not set in stone, if you do your research and learn as much as you can then it can be a rewarding experience, its all up to you.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so please read thru them at your leisure and do ask any and all questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.:)

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and encouragement. I am loving my new friend Taco, and he is already bonding with me, even though I haven't let him out of his cage yet. I will as soon as I can get him clipped. (The previous owner says he did not like ladies, so I feel very lucky!) He lets me pet and scratch his head and neck very frequently, eats out of my hand, lets me exchange his food and water bowl in the cage, and says Hello and lots of cute noises for me. However, I can already tell this is a one person bird...he is not being so nice to the rest of my family.:huh: Anything they can do besides keep talking nicely to him and giving him food?

Any idea how much of his feathers he will lose while he is molting? I want to keep an eye on him, and make sure it is not also plucking issues. So far just a few feathers here and there.

Hello Stacy. Your Amazon seems to be making himself right at home. With regards to other family members getting along with him, make sure they all interact with him, giving treats, talking, playing, feeding ect. If any family members are nervious of him wait till they are more confident before they try to handle him. Birds can molt a lot. If he is plucking you will see obvious bald,damaged patches. Normal molts dont usually leave any patches. You will also see him preening a lot, this is normal.Make sure you shower him often,I use a sprey bottle. Good luck Sheila

• 2 months later...

I too have a sun conure and I know exactly what you mean, she can be demanding and she wants to stay on my shoulder all the time and wants to get into everything I am doing.

Feisty she can be, if she gets a hold of something you better be prepared to get bitten if you try to take it away from her, she can get downright nasty but then the next minute she is all lovey dovey, she drives me nuts but I love her to death.:kiss: