NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

my african grey wont step up on my hand

Nasima

This is a silly trick that works with Tobie but apparently doesn't work with some other greys. I posted this once before and the person said it didn't work. Try it though. If Tobie won't step up when I ask him, I put my hand-index finger up, under his hocks (leg joint below the feathers) and just hold a little pressure there. Without fail he steps backward. He hasn't figured out that I got my way yet.

I got my grey when he was 12 years old. He didn't know how to step up either. To get him out of the cage I had to grab him and remove him and that was no fun for anyone. I had a book and this is what they said to do to train them to step up.

Get her out and away from her cage and have her perched on your finger. Keep staying step up and push gently against her chest if you have to, when she does step up praiser her a little. Keep making her step up for about 10 minutes. I made Baxter step up over and over in these sessions. Do this 3 times a day for about 10 minutes each time. I don't know if it will work for your grey but the book said they should catch on in 2 or 3 days. mM grey caught on in 2 days. Life was so much easier. I also would put Baxter on the back or our dining room chair and give him the step up command from there. Keep doing this untill she learns it. It seemed like Baxter would forget at the beginning of the sessions, but once he stepped up in the sessions he remembered it right away. Hope that helps.