NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Avian Vet

Missa818

I just wanted to get a feel for how other avian vets are for you guys, because I am doubting my vet.

I haven't taken Raz in for a checkup in a long time because every time I went, he would get a negative gram stain and have to be put on meds (which I would rather not just immediately start shoving drugs down my bird's throat)...I shadowed his vet for 3 months and she ALWAYS diagnosed this for clients. There wasn't a bird that could come in and go out the door all fine and dandy. It was a 400 dollar adventure because you knew the checkup would inevitably lead to another problem.

Is my vet psycho (or maybe just greedy?) or do birds just get sick all the time? What are your vet visits like?

Raz has been acting perfectly normal but I would really just like a general checkup. Should I find a new vet?

Thanks for any input!

I think something is up with your vet. I'm the official "vet runner" for the store and I have taken a number of birds in. The most resent was a CAG baby that just didn't seem right from the start and we all thought he had an infection. The Doc the poo and swabbed the crop...he was clean or gram neg bacteria but he did have a yeast infection. I think only 2 other birds have had a bad gram stain that I have seen...everyone else have gotten clean bills of health.

If I was you I would start asking around for another vet because it seems if ALL the birds are being treated for infections something isn't right.

I edited this to say, sorry for the double post. I sent the reply from my phone and it didn't go as planned. :)

I've had all of mine at the vet for well-bird exams at least twice and that's never been my experience. As BMustee said, I'd look around for another avian vet. At least to compare and contrast with your current situation.<br><br>Post edited by: Kaedyn, at: 2008/09/08 07:25

If there is a good pet store in your area with parrots, a bird club, or a reputable breeder you should ask them who they use. I tell everyone about Dr. McKelvie, who is the vet for the birds at the store and the vet I take Elmo too. I have seen another vet when I had my Sun that said she treated birds, but yet didn't know by looking at him what kind of bird he was. I'm sorry but if you can't recognize a Sun Conure then you are not an avian vet!