NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gabby's coming home Sunday

MARIR

After months of waiting, our CAG Gabby, is coming home! We are so excited but I was wondering if her perches should be lower than normal, until she gets use to the cage? Also I was wondering if anyone knows anything about there immune system? How long does it take them to mature enough where she can travel with us? (on short trips and expanding the mileage with time?) Thank you, any info would be appreciated.

I could not guess on the immune system since Suki doesn't really do a lot of travel. But we were so picky, that my wife and I layed down a few extra bath / beach towels across the grates and then newspaper on that. then we lowered the perches about 1/2 the height we planned on. I almost thought it was silly....that is until she took her first hit onto the floor. They can be a little clumsy at that age. So - there stayed the towels for about 2 months.

Enjoy Gabby - you are going to love it!

That is great advice...I bought a palm mat (I was told they are safe for birds)usually for guinea pigs, or rabbits and put it in our Sun-Conures cage, it's really helped with the broken feather problem that we had, and I think I will see if I can get a larger mat for Gabby's cage as well, and keep her perches low for at least a couple of weeks to see how she does, the cage is a multi level cage with play gym on top. but I think we'll keep an eye on her and just make sure she's safe. Thanks.

Congrats on her baby! We're getting her from a wonderful breeder near Pittsburgh P.A., which is about an hour from our home, it's been well worth the drive to go and visit, and the breeder is amazing with the birds. I am counting down the hours that she'll be with us.

Guest Monique

Congratulations on your baby!!!

Putting a towel down w/a newspaper is great advice. And to put the perch's a little bit lower until she has her footing. Won't take long!!! :)

As far as travelling, you should be safe as soon as she settles in. But Parrots can catch things from other Parrots regardless of age so I wouldn't bring her to Bird Fairs or Pet Stores.

speaking of "catching" things...the breeder said her birds are all vet checked and safe from disease, and that we really don't have to quarintine her, from our sun conure, (we got him from a breeder also) unless we wanted to....i just want to be safe...what do you think?

Guest Monique

The odds are probably in your favor but I am not much of a gambler. :) I would keep them apart unless you are 100% positive your sun conure is fine and 100% your new bird is fine. And think about your breeders' policies. Does she let people openly into her home or does she restrict it for the birds health? Does she make you wash your hands before handling the birds? Does she go to bird fairs with her birds (where her birds would be exposed to many other birds). Also, they are going to both have plenty of adjusting to do - new home for your Grey, new sister or brother for your Conure ... and with the size difference I would never really let them play together anyway. All you really have to do is keep things clean if there is any play stand they take turns on (for example) and keep everyone handling the birds clean as well.

thanks. that makes a lot of sense... I'm more afraid of what Sammy (our sunconure) would do to Gabby, She's been sharing her cage at the breeders with her sister, so she's been use to other birds...but Sammy's a little jealous of our other animals, when I'm holding our cat, Sammy runs/or flies over and gets in my face and gives kisses to me, I'll pet him and kiss him back, and then pet the cat, but then Sammy yells "mom, mom" over and over. I never leave Sammy out unsupervised...cats are too quick even one as lazy as our Squeaky...