NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

8 weeks old

rabbit229

My views are this

1---your breeder is totally wrong about the bird being friendlier.

2--the bird being easier to teach. There really isn't much to teach a baby bird.

3--I believe that you will have a much healthier bird if it's totally weaned by the breeder.

4--I believe that your breeder is being irresponsible in thinking that there will be a 100% guarantee that you will be completely successful with the weaning process even if he teaches you how to do it. He can't possibly know that unless he can predict the future. Every person is different.

The usual procedure that's done when a bird is purchased is that the bird is taken to a vet to get a series of tests in order to make sure that the bird is totally well. That's why it's called a *well check* but you should know that a couple of those tests can't be done until the bird is fully weaned and the vet is not bound to tell you to wait until the bird is fully weaned. They just do what they can at the time of the visit.

It's not gonna hurt the breeder to keep the bird until it's fully weaned and you'll walk away knowing that the only *teaching* the bird will need is how to start eating regular food, how to step up, how to get used to toys,cages, members of the family etc.

There's no guarantee that the breeder will be there 100% of the time if a problem occurs with an unweaned baby nor is there any guarantee that he will have the solution to that problem

I breed Greys and there have people who have asked me about taking unweaned babies home with. I always refuse to do that and I've lost potential buyers but there's always other potential buyers just around the corner who will wait until the bird is weaned. They don't want problems nor do I when selling a bird.

I have one question, do you have any experience with hand feeding a baby grey? If not then I wouldn't advise you bring it home at 8 weeks.

Most of us here do not advise getting an unweaned bird unless you know what you are doing because you could hurt or kill it.

I think that is bullcrap that the grey will be friendlier and easier to teach if you get it that young, they are individuals and as such some will just be easier to teach and some more friendly, its all in their own personality.

I agree with Dave 100%. UNweaned babies should never be released by a breeder.

It is against the law to do so in several states.

If your close enough, go and visit your Grey regularly and he/she will know you before you ever take him or her home. You can also learn tons from your breeder as you are visiting your Grey over at their place. :-)

I must agree with the other members it is totally irresponsible for the breed to sell his babies at such a young age and are unweaned. It could be dangerous if you have no or little experience with handfeeding a bird this young.

It doesnt sound like you have a reputable breeder, have visited the baby grey and met the breeder?

I bought my baby home 3 months ago and did 5 months solid research and spoke to many breeders to make sure my baby would be happy and healthy when it came home.

As Tracy pointed out it is illegal to sell unweaned babies in the UK.

Nims

yeah iv met the breeder and the birds, it was me that brought it forword to the breeder. i own racing pidgons and many times over the years iv hand raised them from the first day they hatched. i cant see much diffence apart from there food

i just thought it would bring me and the bird closer

thanks for your replys