NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Red African Grey's

KHAN

While interesting if true, I really hope this doesn't prove profitable, since this sort of breeding has been known to produce variations with genetic deficiencies. If they can turn a profit, it'll just encourage them to make more, without care for the species or individual bird.

hi guys, I think the completely red bird is from South Africa, apparently it was the first one. There are a couple of breeders here that specialize in the mutations. I bought this DVD from our local pet shop http://www.avianpublications.com/items/africangreys/itemDVD00.htm and it names the breeder, but as far as I know the bird didn't keep all the red after its first molt.

• 6 months later...

Welcome redafricangrey!!

Thanks for putting an end to the speculation that many African Grey owners have wondered and mused about.

Your website is very informative and provides an interesting history on how this Red Grey came to be.

I understand it taking over a decade to produce this Red Grey. But, it also makes one wonder, what the health issues and longevity of this selectively bred Grey will have.

I know you do not have an answer for this at this time. As it will take decades to study and see what internal changes this abnormal gene pool brings along with it.

How old is your first "Red Grey"?

Have you noted any skin, allergy or other sensitivity issues associated with them yet?

I am looking forward to hearing as much information as you are willing to share with us. This will help us to be non-speculative and only give correct answers when asked about this in the future.

Also, do you have a website that has more information than the very professionally done and marketing smart website you provided?

Thanks again and looking forward to hearing a lot more about this fascinating Red Grey. :-)

Welcome Redafricangrey,

Thanks for the link. Very interesting. I hope you realize that you can't call them African Greys. They are African Reds or Psittacus roseus Africanus perhaps?

How well do normal Greys react to them? Do they seem bothered by the color as if it were a different species?

Steve n Misty

redafricangrey

So you sent me a PM asking me to read your post about this subject. I did and I'll give you my opinion concerning it especially when uninformed people look at this and the first thing that comes into their head is * I want one*

I'm totally against hybridization of any type of parrot because it's done intentionally. Many other aspects of the complete natural bird are put aside. The natural coloring of any parrot is beautiful in the eyes of the beholder. If a person doesn't like that color, they can simply find another parrot who's color suits them.

These Greys are not mutations.

Mutations and Hybrids are totally different. Hybridization is an intentional interference with the balance and percentage of genes that all parrots naturally have. Many birds have an accidental excess of a certain color which may or may not disappear. Most of the time that excess isn't uniform on a grey's body. People who decide to do this type of thing are inspired to do it when they first see that excess. They wouldn't try doing it if they never saw that excess.

There's so many absolutely beautiful parrots in the world today. More than you can imagine and when people try to interfere with their natural beauty color wise, I think it's irresponsible.

So what do I think of those red birds posted here and in those videos? Not too much.

Those hybrids, in the wild wouldn't be accepted by their own species concerning breeding. This type of thing can only be done artifically---Indoors

This same type of thing has been done with macaws simply because of color.

Fortunately, there are other species of parrots in the wild that never get excesses of a cetain color because if some of those species did have genes that affected color, there definitely would be people out there that would exploit them and be proud of it.

• 4 weeks later...

DanMcQ,

thanks for your interest, the first Grey is now 2 and a half years old and enjoy a long aviary of 20 metres long with 10 or more single factor and double factor waiting for maturity. The red birds’ eyes stay a plum colour with no bad sight at all.

I have seen no bad skin or allergies or what so ever. I have double factor pied birds with total white feet, that are 7-8 years old and still in perfect health.

Regards,

Hennie Diedericks.

Hi Dave,

thanks for your interest. About your comment on the Red African Greys: you say this is a hybrid. Oxford dictionary: “Hybrid: means a cross between two species of plants, animals or birds.” These birds are all bred out of African Greys, and only African Greys. That means they are a colour mutation and not a hybrid. A totally red bird can be bred back to a normal African Grey, no problem. If you go through the web site you will see that you first get single factor red and out of that you get double factor red and only out of two double factor red birds you’ll be able to breed a complete red bird (1 out of 10).

Regards,

Hennie Diedericks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

My friend bought her Grey from Hennie about 3 years ago he is not the reds ones but a perfectly healthy Grye Hennie sure knows he stuff when it comes to birds!!!!

When I bought Boesman he had red feathers under the wings and tummy when he molted they went along!!!

• 3 years later...
I understand that these pictures are a few years old and have never seen any other updates. I would think that if they didn't moult out all the red to be replaced with grey, the breeders would have done just what Kaedyn said.

I saw them two days ago, they are still red, there are bonded pairs that will start breeding next year.