NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

question

bbrew5

I don't think Pogo likes being covered at night.

The breeder never covered him. So I have just been covering half the cage (1side and 1end)open side and end are close to night light, but it sure takes him awhile to settle down (20 min.) is this normal?

I want to be sure he is getting his sleep.

It doesn't sound abnormal. Every grey is different. I have one that settles right down when the lights go out and another that will eat in the dark or play with toys for a few minutes before going to sleep.

Mine are just like little kids, they don't like being told it's bedtime. I turn off the lights and close the door to the room they are in. If I didn't do that, they'd think they were missing out on all the fun and never go to sleep.

If he isn't already and you can place Pogo in a dark and quiet room away from any commotion, that might help.

I don't cover Misty at night anymore. Normally the only time he is in his cage is to sleep at bed time. We share the living room. He decides when its bed time by saying "Bed time" or :"Bed time Misty". He usually does this when he senses I am winding down for the night, the TV film has ended etc . One he is in his cage he continues with "Bed time" until I leave the room and put the lights out.

If I put him in at any other time (which is very rare) he will look at me as if I am Mister Horrible and ask "Can I come out ?". That said the living room cage is to small to be used as day time living quarters. He does have a much larger cage but he has not used it for more than a year !

Steve and Misty

As others have said, each Grey has their own preferences. You will learn soon enough which Pogo prefers. Both my Conure and Grey like to be covered.

Yours may not and you are taking the right actions to get it dialed in for him and his preferences. :-)

I cover both birds because they live in the living room. But Alex never settles down right away. The first thing he does when he goes in for the night is to climb to the top of his cage and hang upside down and chirp at me while I cover him up. I know he also likes to have some of his seed mix as a bedtime snack. He has a cuddle toy that I think he plays with as well.