NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hope we've done the right thing re:collar!!

mas

Hey everyone,

This is in followup to 'plucking problems :('...

reason i started a new thread is that I need advice sooon!!

Tonight we noticed Zahzu had chewed up so much of the collar, that she almost got her head stuck in the thing - she was already getting her feet caught (I suspect she may have even cut herself on the collar!)...so we took action and took out the collar...

She was sooo thrilled and preened away for about 20mins non-stop.

Now, I wasn't happy with the collar business, as she was unable/too depressed to eat by herself - so should we get another put on tomorrow or Monday?

I would prefer no collar - it did ok while it was on, but it definately was getting dangerous!

What do we do??

Did we do the right thing taking it off??

-Sameera

Hi Sameera,

Sorry to hear that the collar is causing concerns.You say she was unable to eat by herself,she will be restricted but she should be able to eat,did the vet fit the correct size ? the collar should be tight,but not tight enough so that it restricts the crop in any way.Sometimes the trauma experienced by wearing these collars can be even more detrimental than having a plucking bird. Another point that should be watched for are ingrown feathers. If the collars are not removed for periods of time the feathers can become ingrown causing pain and infections.

Only you really can decide, perhaps have another chat with your vet ;)

It was a very thin collar made of radiograph material - Zahzu is SO SO happy it's off, and hasn't plucked so far. She's snuggled up in the knook of my husband's arm resting her head on his chest at the moment - she's allowing us to touch her wings and back which she never did before.

At the moment thinking of leaving the collar off - in the first instance we didn't want the collar, but the vet kinda didn't give us a choice and put it on while under anaesthetic - it was done with Zahzu's best interests at heart though.

Our vet is actually gone off work for a few months, as he's battling cancer - please make a little prayer for him too.

-Sameera

Sorry to hear about your vet Sameera & of course he will be in my thoughts.

As i said wearing a collar can be very traumatic,Zahzu is obviously happy that it off right now,to be honest i don't know if i was in your position i would make her wear one,i know you have to be cruel to be kind but it may cause her even more damage ;)

This is a tough decision to make Sameera but only you can make it but Tracy gives some good arguments for not having Zahzu wear it and I tend to agree, sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

Of course I will keep your vet in my thoughts and prayers, so sorry to hear he has cancer.

I say leave it off. Collars should only be used, IMO, if the plucking has escalated to mutilation. When collars are put on dogs they are used for just a few days at a time, with parrots they need to be used for months and months. I've done a lot of reading on them and they don't seem to ever really "cure" plucking, just stop it while it's on. I do know an Eckie that had to wear one for a while because he broke his keel and there was a gash on his chest that had to be stiched up. He would not let the gash heal and was getting infection after infection from him picking at the wound. After the collar was put on his chest healed and the infections cleared and he is now good as new, but as far as just a plucker I say if they are happy and healthy in every other way then let them be a nudist.:P B) :lol:

Only you can make the call Mas. I know you will base it on the best interests of Zahzu. Your comments on his behaviour yesterday seemed to indicate he was a happy camper and seemingly calmed down a little. Maybe the medication is starting to kick in too. :-)

More than likely another collar won't be tolerated and will probably get destroyed much faster than the first one because your bird now knows how to do it. The large percentages of birds that are using collars don't take kindly to them.

You can add novel ideas to what you're doing though. Go to the store and buy a Feather Duster. Make sure it never gets used by anyone. Hang it on the outside of the cage in a corner until your bird accepts the fact that it's there. That will take 2 to 3 weeks or even less or a little longer. At that time take Duster and put it in the cage in the same corner but make sure that the bird can easily get to it. Many birds start to substitute that feather duster for their own feathers and start to preen on it frequently. I've seen it work in the past. I told a friend of mine about doing that with his amazon and it also worked. His bird was plucking a 2 inch circle of feathers on the breast and eventually put a hole in it's skin. Think about it. It can't hurt.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2008/08/31 17:16

I would leave it off. Zahzu has been on her meds now for a bit they should be kicking in. She is much happier without it. If you like I can post a copy of what a friend did for the plucking grey that she took in. She has had Holly sense December and Holly is now fully feathered again.

I would never collar my greys for plucking. It's not worth upsetting them so much, so she's naked, I'm sure it doesn't bother her half as much as it bothers you. :unsure:

There are other solutions, and efforts. Don't give up, you'll find something that works.

Thank you everyone for your replies!

I agree strongly about not going for another collar - all the prior research I had done also indicated that they barely ever work, and are only indicated in cases of self mutilation - however the vet kinda gave me no choice...

I'm trying to introduce peacock feathers to her - a full on feather duster is one of her FEARS, she growls when she sees it, so I'm going to get one and keep it in the same room, and move it a tiny bit closer every day to get her used to it.

Am anxiously awaiting blood test results for beak and feather disease - as soon as results are in the receptionist said she'd call me...

Today I started work (well practicals in order to get registered in S.Africa)..and had to leave Zahzu alone from 7am-1pm...she seemed to do ok, however she did pluck on a blood feather and lost a few drops of blood; however it stopped bleeding itself. Do I need to worry about feathers like that??

Thanks guys,

Sameera

Hey everyone!

Good news!! The test results came back for Zahzu - and she does NOT have beak and feather disease....

However now, what could be making her feathers brittle? And why is she not putting on much weight??

Back to good news - I've spent 2 days at work (7am-1pm)and Zahzu has not plucked much at all - it seems the collar did some good, or the medication has done good, or our ignoring of her behaviour has done some good! probably a bit of both...

however about the collar itself doing good I'm not sure - it may have snapped her out of her anxious mood though - when it came off she was a new bird! I think she's still happy its off thats why the minimal plucking maybe??

She went to bed well tonight - she was plucking a little and climbing all over the cage, so i went into my bedroom and left her for no more than 5minutes, and when i came back and peeped in the cage she was settled... the light is on and i'm typing away in the same room as her with no complaints.

all in all - am very glad things are normalising again - i hope it continues this way thats all!

-Sameera

Mas I'm really not sure why her feathers are so brittle. I can say though if you add some red palm oil to her diet and give her a good sprits with aloe juice it will make a BIG difference for her skin and feathers. Alex was a bit brittle when he was really young. But he is now as soft as a too! This may help with the plucking as well. Softer skin and feathers means less itchy.

Thats great news Sameera!!

It sounds like you are doing everything possible to keep your baby from plucking. It is encouraging to hear she is slowing down, if not out right stopping.

Hopefully, once the irritating feathers molt out and new ones grow in, this dilemma will be over. :-)