NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Is Ice Cream Safe?

EinsteinsM0M

Does anyone give their AG ice cream? Einstein absolutely goes crazy when we go to the local ice cream shop (to the point of trying to fly on a stranger's shoulder to get a lick of theirs!) I always give him a tiny taste, as long as it has no chocolate ingredients, but that is never enough for him. How much is too much?

I let Elmo get a little of my ice cream when I have it. She is the same way, she will go Ape **** until I give her some. I give her a few "tastes" while I have mine, and like you said no chocolate, and she seems fine. I know you shouldn't give parrots large amounts of dairy but a little bit won't harm them.

My Nicky must be the only parrot on the forum who doesn't like ice cream :pinch:

I offered him some on a spoon, he picked it up in his beak, got a funny look on his face and next thing I know it's on MY face and he was splashing his beak around in the water dish. Too cold for him? :P

Ponti goes NUTS over ice cream, but we never give her more than a taste. My thinking is that if foods high in sugar and salt are bad for humans, they're probably equally bad for birds, so she gets a limited selection of those kinds of foods.

ponti will chase my bowl around trying to get a lick of ice cream, saying, "want a bite? let's have a bite! Is that good? yummy yummy yummy! Come here! Get over here! It's hot!"

(Ponti associates any change in temperature, hot or cold, with "It's Hot"...if you give her a food that's either warmer than room temperature, or colder than room temperature, she says, "it's hot"...)