NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hand Feeding

Demonio71

Hmm... I don't know, but from reading about it and common sense I would think that once the food been warmed up to a 'can keep my finger in' temperature, the room temperature following won't make the food taste any less good (like human beings, no? )

Guest Monique

I don't recommend hand feeding unless you are a breeder. We did (against my own current advice) and in my opinion it was very expensive, stressful, and quite messy. Aside from the temperature, your bird can aspirate if done improperly. If the temp is incorrect you can burn their crops. You need to check their crop to make sure it is adequately full after feeding and properly emptied before the next.

However, if you are already in that situation... You can put your syringe in a cup of hot water to help keep the temperature.

there is much debate about hand feeding, but to answer the question on hand...

I still hand feed our baby, with a bent spoon and mix his formula with cold water until well mixed, microwave for 10 seconds and 'whoala'!

Japie does not like the formula cold, so heating it a little does the trick. Haven't used a temp gauge, but the finger trick sounds right...

(he does eat Weetbix, cereal, cold and enjoys this??);)