NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Ponti and Maggie

Thought I would finally post pics of my babies on here!

First we have Ponti, our CAG. She's almost three years old now, and we've had her since May 2006:

ponti1.jpg

Ponti HATES her Snoopy toy, she goes crazy if you toss it at her, she picks it up and throws it across the room. She's not scared of it or anything, but whenever you show it to her, it's like "Get this thing OUT OF MY SIGHT!"

snoopy.jpg

Ponti being a psycho:

ponti2.jpg

Next we have Maggie, a 10 year old Timneh that we bought just this July. Despite being thrown into a completely new situation after 10 years (her old owner died) she is surprisngly well adjusted and such a SWEETHEART! She loves me to death. Within a day or two she was snuggling up on me when I kicked back in the recliner. Whereas I typically get bit a few times a week by ponti, I have still never been bit by maggie, which I find amazing!

Maggie4-1.jpg

Maggie3-1.jpg

I still haven't had time to take very many good pictures of maggie so those two are about all I have. They were taken the first day we got her. The old caretaker had her on crap seed and a pretty bad diet. In the month or so that we've had her, she's actually filled out quite a bit and looks a lot healthier.

Anyway I just thought I'd introduce my kids to y'all! B)

Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2008/08/24 12:38<br><br>Post edited by: matt314159, at: 2008/10/06 07:36

Those are GreYt photos of Ponti and Maggie.

I think you still need to add a few more Toys to Ponti's box. :P

Is this the same Ponti on YouTube? I suspect it is, being that your user name here is the same as that of Ponti's owner on YOutube. :-)

I have watched all those great videos of the last year and a half.

Thanks for the kind words everyone!

danmcq wrote:

Those are GreYt photos of Ponti and Maggie.

I think you still need to add a few more Toys to Ponti's box. :P

Is this the same Ponti on YouTube? I suspect it is, being that your user name here is the same as that of Ponti's owner on YOutube. :-)

I have watched all those great videos of the last year and a half.

Yup, it's the same ponti from youtube :) I didn't know anybody watched any of the other videos except the first one I posted which has a couple-hundred thousand hits now.

Yeah, ponti has a few too many toys, but of course I wouldn't want to spoil her or anything! ;)

As many toys as she has, her favorite toy of all is---PLASTIC BOTTLE CAPS! There's something fascinating about them to her. She'll try to pull them apart and tear them up, stack them inside each other, see how far she can toss them, etcetera. Of all the toys in her toybox, she will dig through all of them until she finds a bottle cap.

matt314159 wrote:

Yup, it's the same ponti from youtube :) I didn't know anybody watched any of the other videos except the first one I posted which has a couple-hundred thousand hits now.

Ha! I have watched everyone one of Pontis videos over the last year and a half. I am a Youtube-a-holic I guess. I am always watching for any new Grey or other parrot videos to be posted.

Both my CAG and Conure sit and watch them, just like we humans watch TV. Sometime Dayo will Wolf whistle and give kisses. I assume this means he would like to date a few he has watched. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice pictures, Maggie is hamming it up for the camera, I think she likes being photographed and she is a beauty.

I know what you mean by her climbing that skinny pole, it is similar to one on Josey's playstand and she climbs right up it to sit on the top, you are right, they want to get up as high as they can and when she is ready to come down she just loosens her grip and slides right down, I think she enjoys doing that too.

Thanks for sharing those pics with us.

Thanks for the kind words! Maggie is already a part of our family. We've had her almost 2 months now and she fits right in. I will have to take a picture of her old cage, it was totally inadequate for her, and her old caretaker kept maggie outside under their carport, no matter how hot or cold it got outside. (we live in Southern California so it was mostly heat to worry about).

I thought maggie was going to be a "rescue bird" where it would take me anywhere from six months to a number of years to get her to trust people, but she took right too me, like she knew I was her savior or soemthing. She loves to give me gentle kisses on my face, and loves being handled! She has NEVER bitten ANYONE so far, NOT EVEN ONCE! To me, that's almost abnormal, compared to spoiled ponti, who bites me as a matter of routine because she thinks its funny (we're working on that though)

Maggie sensed you were going to be a good parront for her, she knew a good thing when she saw it:lol:

My grey, Josey has never bitten me either, I know the day will come when she does and I can handle it but so far she is very gentle, mostly just nudges but no broken skin.

Yeah if Ponti thinks it funny to bite then of course it is routine, its expected;) :)

Great pictures, they are both just beautiful. I'm wondering, is Maggie DNA'd a female? I just ask because she looks so much like my Lyric and I haven't DNA'd Lyric but always just called him a he. Starting to have some doubts about that now so whenever I see a photo that looks like him I ask!

Lyric wrote:

Great pictures, they are both just beautiful. I'm wondering, is Maggie DNA'd a female? I just ask because she looks so much like my Lyric and I haven't DNA'd Lyric but always just called him a he. Starting to have some doubts about that now so whenever I see a photo that looks like him I ask!

Thanks! Ponti's DNA sexed as a female, but we have not done maggie yet, though we plan to. We bought her at 10 years old and we're just going off her name and the fact that she says she's a good girl ;)

We've kind of got our suspicious that she might be a he, so we're going to do the DNA test when we get a chance. Maggie's always throwing up seeds in my hand, I don't know if that leads to one way or the other.

• 4 weeks later...

for those of you who follow ponti's videos on youtube, here's a new one I just uploaded tonight after several months of being lazy.

This is her "snuggle time"... Every night for about an hour, Ponti and I have "snuggle time" before we put her to bed. Most of the time she plays on her toybox with me, and she plays a couple of her favorite games, some of which include, "toss all her toys out of her toybox as far away as possible all over the ground", "Back and forth toy toss with matt", "Learn a new trick" (this week's trick is to flap her wings and wave hi to you...she's getting better at it....she also has learned to blow her nose and poop on a paper towel)...let's see, what other games...there's "beg for whatever food matt is eating", there's "boss the dogs around", and "tear up the plastic bottle caps". There's also, "poop on matt's leg and gross him out" (I usually say "ewww!" when she does it, which is exactly the reaction she wants, I know!), and many others.

oh and don't worry when you hear my dad say "maggie want a bath?" in the background, we wouldn't give them a bath at night, he was talking about something ponti had said earlier in the day. I just know if I were watching a video and I heard someone talking about giving their bird a bath at night i'd probably get after them, so i thought i'd head off any possible comments in that regard ;)