NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Splay Legs

Jesse

When my bird was 2 months old, I took her to the vet and she was diagnosed of bowed legs and pelvic deform and boney angulation. My vet told me my bird, will never be able to perch. I came home and did some research on line and made some splints to help pull the legs in which we used for several weeks. Also gave my bird, scrambled eggs, cottage cheese to along with beans and rice and the weaning conversion food that she is eatting. I also modified her cage, by attaching a couple of wire grills to the inside of the cage, so my grey could climb up and sit on them. I also make a tree stand with limb going around the tree like steps, to the top. I am working with flight, to help with the balance and I have gotten my bird to perch on a wire rope that she is able to grip on.

Does any one have any advise, experience or knowlege they can offer me? cell_025.jpg

cell_025.jpg

No, my vet offer us no advise. She stated Jesse would never perch, and in the wild a bird like this would never make it. She also stated the heart rate was too slow, @ 108 and that she had cardiac malnormalitys, and wanted to know if I wanted to do cardiac x-rays. My daughter and I left devestated. I didn't have her do any x-rays. We went home and deceided to research and do the best we could. I was too attached to Jesse to not help her. I have done the research all on my own. I have a friend who's sister is a vet, in another state and we contacted her. She reasured me that a heart rate of 108 for a baby african grey that was comfortable with her owners and was hand raised and traveled in the car, normal. She stated that diet and splints with the splay leg and working with exercise, that Jesse would get to perching as she would develope her own balance. I know that god, wanted me to have Jesse, and were made for each other. Because Jesse needs some one to help her with her disablitity and I am a nurse, may not be experience with birds, as this is my first bird, and a baby bird to raise. I find this website to be very helpful. Thank you everyone.

I don't know much about the condition. I would imagine at this stage you probably know more than most vets do as you have been researching it so thoroughly;)

But it sounds like you are doing the right things giving her flat surfaces to perch on but still with varying heights. Jesse doesnt know that her condition isnt normal and I am confident she will adapt very well. Especially since she has such a caring owner :).

Terry you obviously love this little darling to death and you were meant to have her in your life and you seem like the kind of person who would do all you could to make Jesse's life the best she could ever have.

She will never know that she is different but not everyone could have taken on the task you have obviously taken on willingly. I am so proud of you and if she does learn to perch it will be because of your love and attention to working with her to make her the best she can be. I am sure she is perfect in your eyes.

Thanks for letting us get to know her and you for we are so blessed for it.

The only thing I'd pitch in with is cover the bottom of her cage with lots of towels so that the inevitable falls will be softened.

Ponti has a bum foot and a leg that was broken and healed wrong, and thus she is pretty gimpy. We keep fresh towels on the bottom of her cage all the time, because the falls were quite often. Not so much anymore, but we still keep it padded because she still slips up now and again.

Judy's right, they don't know any different, and they have an amazing ability to adapt to the toughest of circumstances with aplumb. Good luck!

I hope that your baby learns to perch and with your help and guidence with excersize and love I'm sure she will suprize you I be sending healing thoughts your way and i wil be praying that you baby gets better I don't know if the vet you went to see was a avian vet or not but I know there is no way that my avian vet would not try to help get your baby back on its feet. Its a good thing that you are a nurse even though you know nothiing about birds you do know that a strong will to succeed can work miracles and I sure with your help your Grey will get that miracle. please keep us updated I would love to see how you bird progresses.

• 2 months later...

GOOD FOR U!!!! most ppl would put the bird down and give up. God bless your heart. pure and selfless.

good luck with her!

let me just say i can symathize woth u cuz my parakeet lost a foot.

we just have to get used to it, and there will always be that place in our hearts for them.

• 10 months later...

Jesse is a beauty and so grown up now too. I may not have any advice for her legs, but can guarantee a lot of good people are asking a lot more good people, and someone will come up with ideas to enrich your lives. I am a sewer, if you have any ideas for a sling, or sleep tent, I would gladly work with you to modify a design that would keep her snug and comfy all night. I have a sister who was born with no moving joints and we came up with a lot of ideas to expand her abiliities. All my best to your and your family.