NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

beak pealing

Tigerlily

Hi. when this first happened I was quite worried and imediatly took Tigerlily to the vet who gave her some vitamin tablets after checking her over and after a more recent visit the vet seems to be happy with her beak but can't give a definate answer to why this happened. any ideas?

At first tigerlilies beak started to brown on the tip then a fair amount of top layer flaked off leaving her with a ridge, kinda like the parrot on the header of this site. The ridge has got a little less noticable, so asuming she's had some regrowth but looks like it might be browning a bit again.

Thanks thats exactly what it looks like! the colour before it came away was brown/bone colour.

unfortunatly i don't have a picture. yesterday i thought it was about time i took some decent pics of tigerlily then remembered that seeing as i've just moved i have NO idea where my camera is :laugh: :P :whistle:

Birds beaks are made of the same stuff that our fingernails are. They grow all the time. What you are seeing is totally normal. Sometimes the beak grows into thicker layers and the old layers chip off in big chunks. This is what Alexs uper beak is doing. He condisions his beak all the time so useally within a few hours he has it all much more smooth again. I'm really surprised that your vet was not able to tell you this info.