NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Naughty boy

Mistyparrot

I am curious how other Grey carers handle ”bad” behavior and whether their method has any effect judged by either the immediate reaction of the parrot or the longer term behavior.

When I say “bad behavior” I am talking about parrots that are usually well socialized and not parrots that have been traumatized by the actions of a bad keeper or one that has not become properly socialized to human company.

In my case Misty is closely bonded to me and normally we very much enjoy each others company. Nevertheless on occasion he will sometimes bite my ear if he thinks I am not paying proper attention to him or bite my finger when handing him a glass of water he has requested. My reaction to those incidents is to move him away from me with a rebuke such as “bad boy....no biting”. Some times, if it is a hard bite I will put him in his cage for a few minutes. His reaction tells me that he knows I am annoyed with him because he will always say “be good boy” and “no biting”. If he has been sent to his cage he will also say “can I come out?”The point of caging him is to demonstrate my disapproval. I always let him out after a couple of minutes. He is normally out all day.

He never fights me caging him but he is usually only put in at bed time.

I am sure he has no concept of “right and wrong” but he does seem to know when he has upset me. We always kiss and make up after, and these events are infrequent now.

I have looked after him for four years and bites were not uncommon at first but it does seem he has learned to control himself better. I don’t consider bites received during rough and tumble play to be offenses nor when it is clear to me that I have misread his body language.

Do your Greys know when they have crossed the line? How does it show and what do you do about it?

misty_palma.jpg

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2008/08/23 16:59

misty_palma.jpg

Umm.. The ear bit can be that he is trying to worn you about something. Alex has bit my ear when the dog comes into the room and I don't acknowlage her (he doesn't like her). There are meny reasons for a bit. But really they use thier beaks and mouth like we use our hands. I know it's not easy but you have to decide is it truely a bit or is he using his mouth to acheave something? Like your not going fast enough with the water? Also is he having a grumpy day? If Alex is being a grump and bits I set him down and walk away from him. This way he knows mom's not happy but that I understand he's not happy also. Right now the only time he gets time out in his cage is if he is harrassing Martini.

When my bird bites me, I usually just leave him by himself in his room for an hour or so. Then I go in and have a short "heart-to-heart" and go on with our lives. I think he knows when he has done something wrong, but I don't know if he really "feels sorry" or anything like that. I never smack or yell. It's hard sometimes to not react to bites, as suggested. Especially when it's to your bottom lip...that ensued quite the blood-curdling scream yesterday. But I think it scared him more than made him happy for the reaction. It is tricky knowing what to do; I am looking forward to other peoples suggestions/advice. Best of luck with your naughty parrot!

Hi Mistyparrot - You Asked: "Do your Greys know when they have crossed the line?"

Only if they intentionally bit you because they were mad or wanted you to leave them alone. Cause and effect basically. They reasoned out why the wanted to bite you as your actions were happening to them.

As suzzique stated, they only have their beak to communicate with by natural instinct. If something alarms them and they want you or their fellow bird to move, they do so by a nip to say "Lets Roll", somethings wrong here.

A firm NO and direct eye contact letting them know you did not approve of the bite, is the best way to let them know so. Some cage time also works sometimes as a cause and effect feedback loop.

However, none of these actions means they will stoop biting a person completely. It is up to each of us to pay careful attention to their body language. If their eyes are pinning, they are leaning forward, perhaps feathers fluff a little, You ARE going to get bit in most instances. If you see that body language, slowly pull your hand back acknowledging you respect their space and desire to be left alone at that time.

I know sometimes you must move them when you wish. In those cases, ball your hand up into a fist with it bent forward to tighten your skin completely. Only push forward with the back of your hand telling them to step up. If they still try to bite, go in from the backside and they will have to step up backwards and can not bite you from that direction and position.

I know when I am going to get bit and decide if I must take it due to needing to put Dayo back in his cage while I'm gone etc.

The quick unexpected nips and bites will always happen sooner or later. It's just a matter of when, not if. :pinch:<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2008/08/23 19:13