NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Nail Clipping and Keeping nails trimmed??

Mcgyver

I know how to clip birds nails, I use ordinary nail clippers. I have condition Nandi to allow me to handle her feet and toes ...I show her the clippers so she can check them out ...I then pick up one of her toes check to see her reaction and if unphased I clip it ..she does not even blink and eye.

I do one or two nails a day as a kind of routine and when not clipping I am using a nail file just to go through the motions of handling her feet and toes, so it becomes an accepted rountine.

...I am curious to hear what other ideas people have and more so, ..how do you keep them trim?? ...those sand impregnated perch covers are hopeless and so are those cement type perches ...birds don't seem to grip much with the front toes, its the back ones which do most of the work.

I have tried many ways with not too much success, to keep their nails timmed back without having to clip them. Those back nails are deadly they always seem to remain very sharp???

The sand perches and stuff are completely useless =/ To my bird there only a nose scratch. I know you need to keep their nails trim. Probably doesn't matter an ounce to them but it hurts my hand's and arms when his nail's get to long. I don't even want to deal with clipping them myself. He won't bite or anything he just will squirm so I take him into the vet and let them get frustrated =/ It's only 9 dollars I believe. So I guess i'm not much help :P

I have found this to work ...sit the bird on a large dowel or perch which is about 2" in diameter. Have the perch setup so the bird is in the dominant high position, (ie so that the bird is sitting higher than you are). With the bird perched higher it feels less threatened further more, their feet are spread open across this large dowel. Its like working under a car, you reach up lift one of the toes and clip the nail, the bird is not bothered as it still has its balance, grip and feels secure ...you only need to clip the sharp tips (about 1mm).

This also allows for using an emmery board (for shaping nails) ...do exactly the same thing lift up a toes and file it. The bird is still holding on with the other 3 toes so it is not bothered if you play around with one??

I have not had a single issue with nails since I converted all of my perches to Sandy Perches. The sandy ones are nice as it is manzanite underneath with natural curves. The concrete ones - I never got into since it's concrete (chemical) and straight as an arrow.

But my grey's nails are nice and neat. Sorry some are not having any luck.

I take Harrison to the vet to have his nails trimmed. We've had him for a year and he's had his nails trimmed twice. I've never had a problem with his nails being sharp. We use a few different kinds of perches. He has a rope swing, 2 rope perches, a knobby wood perch, and two safety pumice perches. I put one of the pumice perches at his main food dish, that's where he sits mostly. I prefer these to the all over pumice perches because I heard they can tear up a bird's foot. Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

http://www.birdsafestore.com/detail.aspx?ID=1214

I don't know if this keeps his nails dull but I really never have a problem with his nails being sharp.

Heather

• 1 year later...

Quick question about nail trimming for grey. I have a new baby about 8 weeks old. He's starting to perch now also on my hand. His nails are sharp. The breeder suggested using a Dremel tool with the sanding adapter on the end. This seems to work fine but I guess I'm not doing it long enough. Within 5 days his nails are sharp again. How far do you trim? I know this is difficult to explain or articulate without seeing. Thanks in advance.

I do the same things that Mcgyver described. Dorian and I play "this little piggy" most nights, and I trim a talon (or two if I can get away with it) if one has become needle sharp. Never more than a mm or so at a time. I also have something like cornstarch on hand just in case I cut just barely into the quick, which happened once when he moved on me.