NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

African Grey loves ice water..

Guest walfredopiper

Guest walfredopiper

I have two African Grey's (Sam and Kenya). Sam loves to take showers so she has one every day with no problem but Kenya on the other hand will squawk like a chicken :-) if I take her to the shower room. If I insist with the shower she will stand, look at me with teary eyes and pout...

What I do for Kenya instead of the daily shower is spray her down with a soft mist spray bottle and she is OK.. After the spray down shower, if

Kenya's water dish is just room temperature water she looks at it and drinks from it but doesn't get excited about it.. If I give her chilled water in the dish, maybe even with an ice cube or two.. she plays for a half hour trying to climb in and out of her water dish.. Soaks herself completely...

So here is the question.. Why does she want the cold water to play in, does the cold water hurt her in anyway.. and why doesn't normal room temperature water make her happy?

Looking forward to you response... Thanks to all...

Ron (and his bird house...)

Kenya and Sam (African Grey's), Lucky and Baby (Cockatiels), plus the five

Love Birds..

Guest CreepingTerror2

My CAG seems to enjoy cold water also. I mist her with tepid water, but sometimes when she gets her fresh water( it is filtered and stored in the fridge) she goes crazy trying to bathe in it. I have put dishes of tepid water on top of her cage for her, but she heads right back for the cold water. She has a blast throwing the water and yelling "Wheee". She has been doing this ever since we got her and it does not seemed to have harmed her.

Guest Miandruil

I don't and have never covered Cyndr. His cage is too large to cover. He knows when the tv goes off and lights are out it's bedtime. He doesn't make a peep again until I open the blinds in his room and say good morning. Once in a great while he will say hello buddy in a very quiet voice when I make coffee in the morning if it's late but no other sounds from him until the blinds are open. Cyndr too loves a cool bath in his water dish. Flaps around and talks like he's bathing with his best gal! Recently a visiting nurse asked if Cyndr was sick. He was sneezing and coughing. Then he said "God

Bless You". I had bronchitis just a few weeks ago. He's such a fun little guy!

• 3 years later...

I have problems with my CAG's bath's, he doesn't like to be misted and he bathes in his waterdish every once in awhile, his old owners said he likes a big dish of water on the bottom of his cage to bathe in but like alot of usuals he has dropped that habit when he came here.. so I might try ice water.. Thanks. I don't think if the bird likes it that it's going to hurt them much. Just for drying off don't let her stay cold.. Because if she's getting soaked and air drying in chilled air. She might get sick.

• 2 years later...

My grey is the same she likes to bath in her water dish it is FUNNY she will only have a bath when I vaccum everytime I start the vaccum she is in her water dish.I only vaccum during the day as I know she would go in her dish if I vaccum at night. She doesnt like a spray bottle but thats seems to be the only way to bath her.I have tried putting a large dish in the bottom of her cage and all she does is "DRINKS" from it.I have even tryed in the bathroom with the Vaccum and there is no way.It is funny to see soon as the vaccum is on off she goes for her bath in her water dish I have no idea why she does this.

Teaka, only our greys know why they do the things they do, and sometimes I swear I see Dorian himself thinking "why'd I do that?!":P

As for Mr.D and baths, he has to be the one to decide it's time for one, or it doesn't go over well at all. When I know it's about time he should be craving one, I make sure I change the water in his dish a few times in the afternoon. Since he likes fresh, cold water to bathe in, he'll eventually take the hint, though sometimes not on the first day I start doing this. Once he's started himself off in the dish, then he'll let me help him out with the spray bottle, lifting his wings for me to get all the itchy spots. However, if I try to spray him before he's started his bath on his own he locks down his wings and glares at me!:angry:<br><br>Post edited by: Acappella, at: 2009/09/13 20:30