NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sexing Greys

silverdude

It is a compleat myth that male greys are better talkers than females. The other thing is that just because you get a bird that is known for talking doesn't mean that it will talk. Though Alex is young yet he has yet to say anything. He has a number of sounds and he "sings" all the time but he doesn't talk. If he starts talking then that will be a bonus for us. I can not imagin life without my spoiled goof ball weather he talks to me or not. DNA testing is the only %100 positive way to know if you have a boy or girl.

I have a friend on another forum that took in a 4 year old plucking grey female. She talks up a storm and is even learning a bit of French.

My Josey is a female Cag and she can talk very well so I don't think sex makes any difference. You should not be thinking of getting a grey just to have a talking bird for a few will never talk, you should be looking at it as a bonus if he or she does.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us a little more about you and your desire to have a grey.

Hi everyone,

My name is Fred and I have become very interested in the african grey. I realize that not all greys talk but they are very fasinating birds. I have been trying to learn all I can about the congo african grey and there habits. Do most greys bite? I think they are the most beautiful of all of the parrots. Does the male or female make the best companion? Does one have a better personality than the other?

I have a DNA'd female CAG and she is about 1 year 5 months old. She talks non-stop and uses words in context. As far as I know there is no real difference in males and females. Some people say that males are more likey to change their "chosen" person around the time they hit sexual maturity than females are, but that may just be because they didn't socialize their greys right. When I got Elmo I picked her because she was the pig of the clutch and she kinda picked me. When the time is right and you go to pick one out don't focus on the sex...pick the one that wants to come to you, because that one will be the best pet for you.

ALL birds bit. It doesn't matter what kind you get at some point you ARE going to get bit. You can't show fear and you need to take the bit AND not make a fuss. Or they will keep doing it because they got a reaction out of you. Remember that they have the stringth in thier jaw to crack nut shells. I've had to use a pair of plyers to fix toys that Alex undid. One of Alex's fav things to do is what is called the grey sucker punch. He will put his head down like he wants a head scratch when you go to scratch he bits. It is not normally hard but he does it. He loves to bit my son because he gets such a great reaction out of him. This has gotten better as my son is working hard on not reacting.

Not to sound like we are trying to talk you out of owning a bird. It's great that you are doing resurch! Remember they can be loud they ARE messy and becides the cost of the bird, cage, and food you will be spending an avarage of $50+ every month just on toys. I spend that easy and I make most of Alex's toys.

Oh and Alex is a dna'd male

Physically there's no way to tell male from female, it needs to be DNA sexed. Though with ponti, I was 99% she was a girl, and I turned out to be right. I guess I had a 50/50 chance at worst, but there were telltale signs that led me to be fairly certian.

For a grey, you're going to need to make a lifelong commitment to the bird, as they can live 45+ years easily. They're messy. They're loud and will invariably scream at the wrong time in a TV show, so make sure you have a tivo. You'll get bit and pooped on, but the rewards of having such a wonderfully intelligent companion far outweigh the downsides.

You know you're a bird lover if you've ever accidentally gone out of the house with green bird poop on your shirt or pants.

Welcome SilverDude!!

As others have said, DNA is the only way to determine sex of a Grey (well, they can be surgically sex too).

There is no difference in male or female talking abilities or if one sex will take to you better or not.

It is best to go to the breeders while the Greys are babies and let "A" Grey pick you. I know this is not possible for everyone. But, letting a Parrot pick you will normally result in the best relationship possible. Then you don't need to worry about what sex it is, though it is good to know for naming reasons. :-)

It's GreYt that you have sought out information from Grey owners on this forum. Most people do not both to research or ask questions before purchasing a life long pet. Thanks for doing your homework first!!

African greys are not dimorphic meaning they are exactly the same whether they are male or female neither are better talkers or more affectionate.

I think its more on how the grey is bought up and raised that will determine his/her personality.

Nims<br><br>Post edited by: nims, at: 2008/08/23 20:15

Thanks for all the advise and willing to talk to me about all my questions. Its good to know there is someone you can talk to with more experience. I will take your advise and let the grey pick me regardless of sex. I will keep you posted but will take my time and make sure I find the right companion. Thanks again for all your help.

I have a female grey and she has a huge vocabulary she is five years old and is the best companion I could ever have she ok picked me even though I rescued her from a very bad situation when I first met tyco she saw me coming and started paceing back and forth and streaching her neck toward me.she jumped up onto my arm as soon as I opened her cage. She let me kiss her. Beak she is the best