NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

A little Worried

Sallas

We live in an apartment right now. Should be moving to our own house soon though. But what I am worried about is:

The apartment maintenance came to us and said that there is a leak coming from our apartment into the downstairs apartment.

They tore apart under our kitchen sink (the floor) and found a pipe leaking badly. The issue is the pipe had been leaking for a while I guess and there is mold that the maintenance guy stirred up. Both my fiancee and I have had really stuffed up noses since they worked on the pipes and I am really worried what this may do to all of our parrots (TAG, Two Sun Conures, and a baby Quaker (who is going home with my fiancee's mother tonight, we picked her up from the breeder and hand fed her until she was weened because her mother did not know how)).

If I lose my baby from this I will be very upset.

Hi Sallas,i found this article on mold & of course our birds can suffer from many of the symptoms.Keep your birds as far away from the affected area & get the leak fixed with a matter of urgency,birds are very good at covering up there symptoms until it's too late....

Can mold cause health problems?

Molds are usually not a problem indoors, unless mold spores land on a wet or damp spot and begin growing. Molds have the potential to cause health problems. Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing. This brochure provides a brief overview; it does not describe all potential health effects related to mold exposure. For more detailed information consult a health professional. You may also wish to consult your state or local health department.

The birds seem ok, but they hide illnesses. The leak was fixed the same day it was found, but it was there and not found for about a year. I am not extremely worried about before it was found because it was beneath the floor of our kitchen and not open to our apartment. I am worried about the time they had the floor open and stirring up the mold spores.... Grr, I hate this apartment complex. I cannot wait to move.

But, my TAG ("Saphira") seems to be okay, I taught her a new trick lastnight in about 15 minutes. The only thing I noticed is her feces has a orange color to it, but I am sure that is from the dehydrated fruit that I use as treats for her with training. The fruit is orange. She just loves it and wants to do about anything to get another piece of fruit. And I figured it is not bad for her. (anything in extreme amounts is not good for you of course).

I hope they come out of this okay.

Yes, we have a food dehydrator also. I love dehydrating different fruits to see how she likes them. And we dehydrate them for the same reason. I hate the fruit flies. And with he fruit dehydrated, it seems easier for me to work with as treats when training her. So far she loves Mango, pineapple and guava.